Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RESOLVED: Slic3r Bug? Gcodes are wrong speed

Posted by kda406 
September 22, 2014 05:12PM
I have an STL model that Slic3r does not slice correctly. Specifically, it prints at an extremely slow speed, much slower than I have indicated in the Print Settings tab. I am using 1.1.7.

The material I'm printing (clear ABS) requires a fast print. I have all speed settings set to a relatively fast 100mm/s. Yet it prints at a snail's pace. This causes lots of physical holes in the print. I looked at the gcodes and can verify that it is sliced to print terribly slow (F565.702), which does not match settings.

I used the same STL model and sliced using Skeinforge with similar settings and get a good slice with fast gcodes (F3600.0).

When I print with the Slic3r gcodes, it take ~50 minutes and is full of holes. The Skeinforge slice takes about 11 minutes and is smooth with similar settings.

I attached:
* Slic3r settings
* STL file
* Slic3r (weird) gcode output
* Skeinforge (expected) gcode output
* A picture of the prints, full of holes due to slow printing (Slic3r) and as-expected (Skeinforge).

I have previously printed dozens of other models with this filament and these settings on this printer successfully using Slic3r. I suspect this model shows a bug in 1.1.7, but am always open to the possibility of operator error. I have only printed about 50 items using Slic3r so far, so I'm still a little green.

Please send all suggestions or confirmations of the bug. I am happy to provide other settings/files if necessary.

Thanks,
Kyle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 11:38AM by kda406.
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3rIssue.zip (521.9 KB)
Re: Slic3r Bug? Gcodes are wrong speed
September 23, 2014 04:27AM
Hi Kyle, just had a quick look at your slic3r setting. Could it be the Cooling settings under filament tab?. There is a 'Slow down if print time is below" setting that caused trouble for me.
BTW. Would you recommend Skeinforge? I would like to try, but it seems a hassle to install since I don't know pyton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 04:28AM by ThorsenRune.
September 23, 2014 09:19AM
Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. I changed the value from 30 down to 0 second to effectively disable that function. Tried again and the gcodes outputs are (wrong) still terribly slow (F565.702).

Skeinforge was bundled with some other software I installed (don't remember which package now). It is "okay," and is a good tool for beginners in my opinion. I don't know of any way to change the bed temperature during print in Skeinforge for example (and I print the first layer hotter than the rest with ABS). Slic3r in expert mode seems much more configurable and an overall better product for novice through expert level makers, once one gets past the newbie level. I only went back to Skeinforge for this example to see if it was my STL model creating the issue or Slic3r and as I said, Skeinforge creates the expected gcodes and print.

That is, Slic3r was a better program until it started outputing gcodes to print the wrong speed! I'm stumped on looking for a solution to this Slic3r problem.

Thanks for the reply,
Kyle
September 23, 2014 10:04AM
Kyle, what printer do you have?. I found that Ormerod has made some firmware limits on release 0.78.
I also unchecked the 'Enable Auto cooling' to get rid of the limits
Rune
September 23, 2014 10:32AM
Rune,

I turned off 'Enable Auto cooling', resliced, and the gcodes are still slow (F565.702) for all the print layers looking at thousands of lines of gcodes. Since Slic3r is outputting the slow gcodes, the printer shouldn't matter as far as I can tell(?).

The printer is a PowerSpec 3D X Dual Extruder Printer, which is basically a cross between the Flashforge Creator X and the Creator Pro. There are pictures of it in a Thing I built here: Spacer

I am about to try 1.2.0B to see if they have already addressed this issue in the latest release.

Thanks,
Kyle
September 23, 2014 10:59AM
Increase the minimum speed in cooling to something that makes sense for you.
Currently is 5 and I suspect this is what slows things down, though you "disabled" by zeroing the minimum time.
September 23, 2014 11:38AM
I conclude it was a bug in 1.1.7 because slicing the same model with 1.2.0B and the same settings resolves the issue. The gcodes are in the F6000 speed range as expected. It is printing the model very nicely and will take ~10 minutes to print (60% done as I write this).

Thanks for all the suggestions! smiling smiley

-Kyle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login