Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration guide terminology help

Posted by UkIan 
Calibration guide terminology help
August 24, 2014 07:00AM
Hi, I'm working through this calibration guide and I don't follow the "Infill" section. It says:

Set infill solidity to 1.0 for this, using linear infill. In Pronterface/Skeinforge settings, this can be found under Craft > Fill.

Print the cube and analyze the top. If there is NOT ENOUGH plastic (a concave top), reduce the Infill Width over Thickness by .05 increments. If there is TOO MUCH plastic (convex top), turn that parameter up by .05 increments. In Pronterface/Skeinforge settings, this can be found either in Craft > Inset in some versions, or Craft > Fill in other versions.

Once you're feeling close, start bumping it around in smaller increments.

You may also need to adjust your feed rate.

Adjust the feed rate by increments of 2 or so until you feel close. If it looks really disgusting and blobby, go by increments of 0.5mm. Then go by smaller and smaller increments until you've nailed it. Although you probably just want to decrease Infill Width over Thickness instead of decreasing Feedrate because lowering feedrate will degrade the resolution.

This is what Slicr looks like on the infill page now:

What is "Infill Width over Thickness" that I'm supposed to up by 0.05 increments?

Is Linear fill now called "line" or "rectilinear"?

Infill solidity I assume is now "Fill densitiy"?

Finally, just after the quoted section it says "You may also need to adjust your feed rate" I assume this is the M92 Exxx adjustment I was doing in the previous step?

Thank you
Ian
Re: Calibration guide terminology help
August 25, 2014 10:43PM
The quote refers to Skeinforge, a "legacy" slicer, while Slic3r is, well, another... slicer.
If you look at Printer Settings > Advanced, then for Extrusion Width > Infill, and you specify a percentage, then "it will be computed over layer height" (as pointed out in the bubble help).
I don't remember what was "linear" in Skeinforge, but in Slic3r, line is the same pattern of lines laid on on top of the other for each layer, while "rectilinear" will rotate the pattern 90 degrees at each layer change.
Indeed Infill solidity is equivalent to fill density, and be aware that the most recent versions of Slic3r are now working with percentage values (instead of 0 to 1 values).
Feed rate is adjustable in Slic3r through Filament settings > Extrusion multiplier. You will calibrate the firmware value through M92 Exxx for the filament you use mostly. However, filament of different material may be extruded at slightly different rates. For example, if it is softer, the extrusion could be a bit slower, so you need to adjust it by specifying a greater than 1 value of the extrusion multiplier.
Re: Calibration guide terminology help
August 30, 2014 08:44AM
Perfect, thank you for clearing that up for me smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login