Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Slic3r 1.1.7 MAC] choking on some simple parts

Posted by Ohmarinus 
[Slic3r 1.1.7 MAC] choking on some simple parts
August 21, 2014 05:19PM
Any Mac users using Repetier and Slic3r 1.1.7 that have had the same problem?

It's taking about ten times as long as with the previous version. Around 10 minutes for just a simple part.

The STL file is too big to add here, but if anyone on the Slic3r team is interested to take a look, I can try to upload it. The GCODE generation looks fine though, and am currently printing it, guessing it will turn out okay. It just takes so darn long. For such a simple part.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Re: [Slic3r 1.1.7 MAC] choking on some simple parts
August 22, 2014 12:22PM
Do you have "Avoid crossing perimeters" unchecked? If that box is checked Slic3r becomes ridiculously slow.

Dave
August 22, 2014 02:03PM
That seems to take >15 minutes down to a matter of seconds. However, I don't get it, I have the fastest Macbook Pro Retina there is.. There should be a way to use the capacity of the processor so Slic3r can quickly calculate these things??

Thanks for the tip though smiling smiley

August 27, 2014 10:21AM
Ohmarinus
That seems to take >15 minutes down to a matter of seconds. However, I don't get it, I have the fastest Macbook Pro Retina there is.. There should be a way to use the capacity of the processor so Slic3r can quickly calculate these things??

Thanks for the tip though smiling smiley

The extremely slow speed when "Avoid crossing perimeters" is checked has been a "feature" of Slic3r since I first used it in January this year. I've had smallish parts that took over 5 hours to slice with that checked - using a PC with a 3GHz i7 processor, 16GB of RAM and an SSD drive. Maybe one day it will be addressed, but until then I do not consider it a viable feature.

Dave
August 27, 2014 08:47PM
Sad to say, I went back to Cura.

The prints also come out way nicer. I've had a goodntime with slic3r but that was more than a year ago in the pre-0.9.8 era.

I love how repetier and slicer work together but the prints from cura are calculated differently and give a cleaner end result. After a year of tweaking I now realize it's not just my settings. It's completely how slicer and cura approach a solution from a completely different angle.

August 28, 2014 12:43PM
Ohmarinus
Sad to say, I went back to Cura.

The prints also come out way nicer. I've had a goodntime with slic3r but that was more than a year ago in the pre-0.9.8 era.

I love how repetier and slicer work together but the prints from cura are calculated differently and give a cleaner end result. After a year of tweaking I now realize it's not just my settings. It's completely how slicer and cura approach a solution from a completely different angle.

The biggest downside with Cura is that it does not recognise the existence of bridges and so prints the first layer of a bridge just like a solid base layer - which will be at the normal printing speed and a direction that may well be bridging across the long dimension of the gap rather than the short dimension. Slic3r used to be particularly good at bridging, and you can even set it to increase the cooling only while laying down the first layer of a bridge (if your printer supports fan control). Cooling improves bridging quality but decreases layer bond strength, so having such control is extremely useful. The latest version of Slic3r however has bugs in its bridging algorithms and so you are not a great deal better off than you are with Cura.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login