Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prints too large in X/Y Replicator 2

Posted by jimbles 
Prints too large in X/Y Replicator 2
August 19, 2014 05:25AM
Hey!

I am having a little trouble getting prints to be dimensionally accurate with my replicator 2. I have moved to slic3r as makerware is failing to slicing some complicated parts correctly, and I am having much more luck with slic3r. The one snag is that the prints are not coming out dimensionally accurate on the X/Y plane.

I am starting with a simple 20x20mm cube but the dimensions are 21.22, rather than the 20.15 when sliced with makerware. I am using whpthomas' slic3r configs found here and makerbot firmware 7.5.

I checked the Gcode from both makerware and slic3r with gcode viewer and it shows the same model size for each output. This I would have thought would indicate that the X/Y steps were set correctly in slic3r, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, or could point to a more detailed guide on using slic3r with a replicator 2?

Cheers

Jimbles

edit: Sorry, forgot to say I am using slic3r 1.2.0 on win7 64bit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 05:32AM by jimbles.
Re: Prints too large in X/Y Replicator 2
August 19, 2014 11:04AM
Slic3r does not deal in steps, the g-codes send the move distances in mm. The number of steps per mm are set up in the printer's controller (usually in a configuration file), not the slicing software. Over 1mm of oversize over 20mm is a huge error, if you are certain that your STL file is correct, it is possibly due to loose belts or some other mechanical problem.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login