Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blobs in corners (an idea for dev. or something to think about))

Posted by Squirlier 
blobs in corners (an idea for dev. or something to think about))
August 14, 2014 07:57PM
Hello everybody. I am using slicer 1.1.7.
Ok. here is my Problem / suggestion. I hope that what i am trying to explain is understandable.

i am not talking about retraction blobs and so on.. just an usual edge on the fly printed. just little stop for accelereation...

Some of you noticed that outcoming edges that looks like there ist too much PLA. ?!?!
OK then let´s think about what does happen.
the Printer draws a line A>B the next line will be from B>C and then lats say C>A. so it´s a triangle.
the possible start and stop blob is adsustable with retract. BUT the outcoming edge AT point B...what does happen there?
well i think it is because B is (like everyother point) is 2 times per layer a point where slic3r want´s to ad PLA.
Start at A...........B(next line in code)B..........C(next line) C.........D(and so on)
when it is at b it ads it´s last amount of pla for that piece of line/layer. then it looks for the next line an want´s to go to point C.
it is at B and starts PLA and drive to C. there it stops and looks for next...... and so on.
B get´s Twice the PLA that it needs. this is for every point where 2 lines attatch each other.
we all know layerwidth. and there sould be an option to add a little extra points in front of each "line attatchpoint"
with setable distance ( something like half layerwidh as default) and flow ratio.
then we can adjust those edges. an there should be a something that recognises the angle and multiplies it with it.
At milling this is not needes because material that has been removed could not be removed twice. it´s gone at the first time.
3D printing is totaly different and so. PLA/ABS whatever can be added as often as slicer says.sometimes too much.

Oh man much text an hopefully understandable.

Well this is the problem on every Curve or edge or not straight line whatever. the innerpart of the line gets more and the outer less than needet.

Please let me know if this is already solved by a setting i didn´t find.
again: i am not talking about retraction an related ... :-)
Re: blobs in corners (an idea for dev. or something to think about))
August 15, 2014 08:41AM
The length of each line for the purpose of calculating the amount of plastic to extrude is taken to be the length running through the centre of the extrusion. For a circle however, the length of the inside of the extruded circle is shorter than the length of the outside of the circle, and so too much plastic is extruded on the inside and insufficient on the outside. This has the effect of making small holes print smaller than designed, and is the same effect you are describing for corners. (Corners can be thought of as circle segments with a diameter of zero).

Dave
Re: blobs in corners (an idea for dev. or something to think about))
August 15, 2014 06:05PM
Hello Dave,

thank you for your answer.
i wish i´ve found the words like you :-)

above i said something about twice the amount than needet, nooo that is not correct.
i mean:it would be nice to have a setting so that extra lines depending on degree from line to line the amount of pla in the edge
could be tuned. like extrusion multiplier.
let´s say half of layer width could be the distance and multiplier maybe 50% or whatever.
depending of th elenght of the line. if too short (setable maybe 2mm) no extra lines were added..
well i mean not addet but cutet in pieces so that there could be other settings for flow than normal.

for perfect cycles it is difficult. but if a cycle is big enough and multi line style it could help there too. i think.
there can also be a setting for lines smaller than layer widht. that maybe covers cicles. flow ratio for those lines

if i were able to write cool code or scripts it sould be possible to "test" this... but i am not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login