Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't slice tree frog from Thingyverse

Posted by dc42 
Can't slice tree frog from Thingyverse
August 14, 2014 03:57PM
I've been trying to slice the tree frog model from [www.thingiverse.com]. First I tried slic3r 1.1.7, using the Combine Multi-material STL Files option. It produced the .amf.xml file, which I then sliced. Unfortunately, large parts of the first layer were missing from the gcode file. Only 1 of the 4 feet was correctly printed, in both colours. The other 3 feet were printed as small islands of the second colour only. So when it came to print the second layer, there was nothing for it to stick to.

So I decided to try the new way of combining STL files in slic3r 1.2.0, by loading one of the files, then loading the second file either as another part of the object or as a modifier. But whatever I do, when slicing it I get a "This program has asked the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" message, which I believe from previous experience means it has hit a breakpoint.

Has anyone successfully sliced the tree frog model in slic3r? I am using the Windows x64 build under Windows 7.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Can't slice tree frog from Thingyverse
August 14, 2014 05:23PM
Well I managed to solve the crashing problem in slic3r 1.2.0, by using netfabb cloud service to repair both STL files before loading them in slic3r. But now I have another problem. I can't get slic3r 1.2.0 to generate gcode for more than one extruder. The first issue is that initially, slic3r always thinks I have only one extruder in the printer settings, even though the configuration file I am using has 2 extruders (and has worked under slic3r 1.1.6). If I save the profile under slic3r 1.2.0, exit slic3r and restart it, it still thinks the profile has only one extruder.

So every time I load slic3r 1.2.0, I have to change the number of extruders to 2. I don't need to reset the head offsets, because it has remembered them - although strangely the offset for head 1 is greyed out even though it is correct (the value I saved under slic3r 1.1.6).

I load the first STL file, then go to object settings and load the second. I assign the two parts to extruder 1 and extruder 2. Then I generate gcode. The problem is, there are no tool change commands in the generated gcode. I even tried setting the custom gcode for tool changing to T[next_extruder], but it had no effect.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 15, 2014 11:42AM
I sliced it on different scales with no issues.
I think that was in v 1.1.7

Update: sorry wrong treefrog. I now see you refe to another thing.
I have not tried tha one yet. I an still playing wih them in Openscad to merge them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 11:46AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 15, 2014 12:33PM
I eventually managed to slice it in 1.1.7. The key step was to use the Microsoft/Netfabb online STL repair tool to repair both files first. With the original files, slic3r reported that it has auto-repaired them, but evidently not properly.

If I feed the same repaired files to slic3r 1.2.0, then it no longer crashes. But whatever I try, it generates a gcode file without any tool change commands in it. This is after changing the printer settings to have 2 extruders (because it ignores the fact that the settings file already specifies that), and assigning the 2 parts of the object to different extruders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 12:33PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login