Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support too thin

Posted by superzerg 
Support too thin
July 17, 2014 11:04AM
Hello,

I'm starting to play with support in Slic3r, but the support seems to be too thin and break when it reaches a few centimeters high.
I tryed to increase the support width option, but it seems to only change the distance between the support and the object but not the width of the printed support material.
My nozzle is 0.4 mm, I set the support width from 0.5 to 1 mm without visible changes (in pillar and honneycomb support).
Any idea to improve the situation ? Or someone who successfully changed the support width ?

Thanks,

Yves
Re: Support too thin
July 17, 2014 11:46PM
Support is suppose to be 1 width wide only (so around 0.4mm for your nozzle). If it's breaking then there may be a printer calibration issue with your feed (too much or too little filament extruded). You can search for how to test this.

There is no Support Width option that I am aware of. There is an Extrusion Width for support option but this is best left at 0 unless you really know what you are doing. It causes more plastic to be extruded during support and this can have bad results. If you do want to play with that option I HIGHLY recommend you read that part of the Slic3r manual first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 11:46PM by tmorris9.
July 18, 2014 07:33AM
Thanks for your answer tmorris9,

tmorris9
Support is suppose to be 1 width wide only (so around 0.4mm for your nozzle). If it's breaking then there may be a printer calibration issue with your feed (too much or too little filament extruded). You can search for how to test this.

The amount of filament extruded for the main part is ok (made a thin wall print and the thickness was 0.4 as expected).
The problem arise only with the support. When support is printed, the feed looks too small. That small feed might be good to help the support removal, but
when the support has a small surface and a high height, the support is then very fragile and it usually breaks in the middle of the print.

tmorris9
There is no Support Width option that I am aware of. There is an Extrusion Width for support option but this is best left at 0 unless you really know what you are doing. It causes more plastic to be extruded during support and this can have bad results. If you do want to play with that option I HIGHLY recommend you read that part of the Slic3r manual first.

The Extrusion Width for support option was the one I tried to modify, but I did not saw any improvement (more solid support) while i increased it up to 1mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 09:10AM by superzerg.
July 21, 2014 12:07AM
superzerg

The Extrusion Width for support option was the one I tried to modify, but I did not saw any improvement (more solid support) while i increased it up to 1mm.

The extrusion width is set as a % not mm. 100 is 100% meaning normal so if you want to try this setting I would start at 150 or 200 to see if it helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login