Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Overlap in objects, why cover same area twice ?

Posted by Replace 
Overlap in objects, why cover same area twice ?
June 24, 2014 10:44AM
Hi all,

While designing in OpenScad, I often ad a one layer raft in my design, to prevent it fall-over or be pushed away from the heated during print. I do this by adding a one lever circle that is much bigger than the object. It works for me, however.. when I add 2 of those objects in slicer and have them overlap the circles a bit, (which is good as they combine the raft and keep objects relative together) , I see that Slic3r will print that aerea of overlap twice!

So it will add a second layer on the same hight on the overlap area.

Is that as to be expected ? is seems silly...... and it might force some problems, extruding 2 layers in the same Z-hight.

Please advice

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Overlap in objects, why cover same area twice ?
June 24, 2014 02:14PM
Yes it would cause problems. Perhaps slicers should union objects that overlap. You could union it in OpenScad to get around it.

Have you tried the brim feature in Slic3r? It adds a 1 layer brim around the object by extruding many concentric outlines. That would make it easier and neater to removed than a brim that is part of the object because you don't need to cut across the filament, just separate it from the outline next to it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2014 03:40AM
It's not so silly smiling smiley
Since the overlapping layers are part of the models, the slicing software does not know that they are just a "brim" and you intentionally overlap them. If autoarrange is activated (which is by default), it will set your objects apart.
The "normal" way is to design the model as you would like to have it finally, and to use the "brim" feature.
June 29, 2014 11:11AM
Yes, I understand, but than I need to have all objects in the same OpenScad file, which will be a big file with lots of error opportunities.
However, it is seems silly to print the same layer twice, without advancing the 'Z', not logical to me.

And I am not sure whether the brim feature will add enough surface to fill my needs.

So I filed a request at Github to have Slic3r look at this from a different perspective.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login