Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Clean Slate for MAC-Slic3r corrupted with multiple versions

Posted by MileHigh3dII 
Need Clean Slate for MAC-Slic3r corrupted with multiple versions
June 16, 2014 01:51AM
I had trouble with Slic3r taking hours to slice something and them often the g-code was garbage. I was in a time crunch and I read the posts about newer versions being slower, do I tried to install an older version 0.9.x in lace of my 1.0.x (I forget the exact versions) and not only didn't it help, both versions were on the computer, but neither of them would run. I get errors as soon as it tries to slice. I tried to delete the two versions, I thought I had, but I think not. I tried reinstalling a new copy, and that didn't work.

I use Repteier and that would point to one Slic3r version and Slic3r itslef would point to another.

A real mess. I downloaded Cura and it sliced stuff in 10 seconds that Slic3r was taking hours. I do like the greater control on Slic3r over variables, so I'd like to get it running again.

How do I wipe it clean and start over?

What is the correct way to update (or revert)? Repetier sometimes would use an earlier version that the latest downloaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 01:37PM by MileHigh3dII.
Re: Need Clean Slate-Slic3r corrupted with multiple versions
June 16, 2014 05:31AM
The ini files used by some of the different versions of Slic3r are different, and I wonder if this may be causing your problems. You don't say what operating system you are running, but if its windows later than XP, the standard location for these in ifiles is {username}\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r. I suggest that you make a back up copy of this subdirectory somewhere else on your PC then delete it, and let Slic3r set it up again, when it next runs.

Slic3R does not register itself with Wndows, so there is no 'Uninstall' procedure, you can simply delete the Slic3r program directory to remove it. It could be anywhere on your PC but I think the standard location could be c:\Program Files (X86)\Slic3r (or c\Program Files\Slic3r if your operating system is 64 bit) but it depends how its was installed. I install mine differently than most, so I can't be sure. In Repetier Host, you define where it looks for Slic3r under the Slicer Tab on the right, when you click on 'Manage', here you can define the path to the version of Slic3r that you want to use, and where it expects the Slic3r profiles to be.

I suggest you go to www.slic3r.org and download a fresh copy of the distribution zip (v1.0.1 worls well for me) and unzip it somewhere on your PC and point Repetier to this.

I personally have never had any serious performace problems with Slic3r, but have always used a clean installation, put somewhere on my machine that I have chosen and used clean ini files, and I have always called it directly, not from another program and useit by simply dragging the stl file onto it.

Hope this helps

Harvey
June 16, 2014 06:50PM
Use Slic3r separately from Repetier host, it's known that while slic3r makes new versions often Repetier host has not kept up. Just slice with Slic3r as a stand alone then load the gcode into Repetier host. Or use Cura.
June 17, 2014 12:50AM
Sorry. Mac Book Pro with the latest OS. How do I clean it off and start again?

Why does Slic3r show up like it is a USB drive in the Finder window??
June 17, 2014 04:20AM
Sorry,

Can't help you with the Mac Book, I know nothing about Macs.

Harvey
Re: Need Clean Slate for MAC-Slic3r corrupted with multiple versions
June 17, 2014 06:45PM
When you download and open it, it's a virtual drive so you can then install it (drag to Applications folder). Then eject the one you installed from.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login