Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code

Posted by Sardi 
Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code
June 04, 2014 07:51AM
I am working in Blender, and Ive shrunk the STL file down to 650kb, and facets from 142000 to 14200, Ive also done the triangulation with no errors, but Slic3r wont finish the export.
I have also unchecked "avoid crossing perimiters" and still no luck.

I have tried a couple of times to export, but every time I wait for over 30min, while the green bar is stuck at 1/5th and does not move (the program did not freeze).

You can download the file in question HERE.

Also, other people exported the file in arround 3minutes via Slic3r, but I am not able to do that.
Re: Slic3r takes forever to export to G-Code
June 04, 2014 09:48AM
Slic3r has long been known to take forever with certain slices, and this has only worsened over time. It may be that you have a newer version of Slic3r than those who are slicing faster. Try an older version and see if that speeds anything up.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 04, 2014 10:47AM
Yes, I do not have this problem with all stl files, but it does take some time for him to finish slicing. And as you mentioned, the first few slicings (when I first installed it) went really fast, as time went on, the slicing became slower and slower, and now it does not finish.

I will try some older version, thanks.
June 05, 2014 07:57AM
I just tried it with the latest version (1.1.2) - it took about 75 seconds at 0.3 layer height.

June 07, 2014 06:59AM
Without "avoid crossing perimiters" it works ok, couple of minutes to export.
With "avoid crossing perimiters" it does not export.

However, when I click "view" in Slic3r, I see that he somehow connected different poligons and faces, that are not connected in the original file. So something is very much off there.
In Cura I had no problems with exporting nor with the view or print of the g-code.
June 11, 2014 09:30PM
Tried slicing with Slic3r 1.0.0, I know the newest version is 1.0.1 (stable) but I havent updated since I bit the bullet and bought a different slicer. After about 5 minutes, I just cancelled the slice. Just as a testimonial in case anyone was wondering about Simplify3D, it sliced the model and generated gcode in 15 seconds. I tried my best to match up the settings between slicer and simplify3d as i could
June 11, 2014 10:21PM
I would advise people to not, in general, be dependent on a single slicer. A slicer is an extremely complicated piece of software, and the infinite possibilities of input files that we all come up with only make it almost certain that we will run across a model that our "everyday" slicer doesn't handle properly. My tool chain allows me to switch easily back and forth between slic3r, cura, and skeinforge. I use slic3r most of the time, but it's always nice to have the other tools readily available in my pocket.

Oh - and slicing speed is not the sole measure of a successful slice. I know it's important, but not as important as getting G code that will do what you want.
June 11, 2014 11:07PM
I hope it didn't come off as me thinking slicing time is the most important aspect of a slicing software. Indeed, at the end of the day, the most important thing is the reliability and quality of the G-Code generated, I only highlighted and talked about the speed of the two softwares because it is the nature of this particular thread.
June 12, 2014 08:37AM
isonoob
I hope it didn't come off as me thinking slicing time is the most important aspect of a slicing software. Indeed, at the end of the day, the most important thing is the reliability and quality of the G-Code generated, I only highlighted and talked about the speed of the two softwares because it is the nature of this particular thread.

No - I didn't think that - I just wanted to emphasize its relative importance.
June 20, 2014 08:32PM
I read through this forum and came across the "avoid crossing perimiters" option. That was it for me. Thanks Sardi
June 26, 2014 03:35AM
Make sure you increase the number of thredads if you have a multicore cpu, this will help a LOT as well with slicing times!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 03:35AM by virror.
June 27, 2014 09:30AM
In my case, the problem is thin walls. It seems that Slic3r does not cope well with objects too thin (under 1mm, and in my case 0.48mm thick).
That is why I tried Cura, and Cura does a good job exporting g-code with thin walls.

Speed is really not of the essence, as long as the exported g-code is good, but in this case Slic3r simply cant slice something that thin.
July 07, 2014 05:11AM
oops new to this (please delete admin)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 05:14AM by SunnyTurtle.
July 07, 2014 05:13AM
Sardi

However, when I click "view" in Slic3r, I see that he somehow connected different poligons and faces, that are not connected in the original file. So something is very much off there.
In Cura I had no problems with exporting nor with the view or print of the g-code.

Thanks
unchecking "avoid crossing perimiters"
reduced my slicing time down from 46mins to 14seconds

EDIT
I tyred printing with multipliable items on the plate and it ripped one of them off. is there anyway to make slic3r object with out swapping from one to the other all over the shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 07:00AM by SunnyTurtle.
July 09, 2014 01:07AM
SunnyTurtle
Sardi

Thanks
unchecking "avoid crossing perimiters"
reduced my slicing time down from 46mins to 14seconds

EDIT
I tyred printing with multipliable items on the plate and it ripped one of them off. is there anyway to make slic3r object with out swapping from one to the other all over the shop.

"Ripped one of them off" can you be more specific. Are you saying it was not in the gcode or are you saying that while printing the part came off the bed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login