Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with settings?

Posted by jobzombi 
Help with settings?
June 03, 2014 09:55AM
I printed this item:

[www.thingiverse.com]

to help set some configurations in slic3r to get better quality prints. I am using a slightly modified version of the smartrap ini on github, with some alterations to the bed dimensions and some start and end gcode. Other than that, the print comes out very good, but with A LOT of what I call spider webbing between jump points. Not sure what setting(s) to tweak to reduce this? What would be recommended? The bottom layers (7x.2mm in height) is beautiful, the circle holes are very well made. The tower in the middle, from the highest poitn fo the tall vertical wall to the top was also perfect since it did not have to jump to another point in the print. Everything else has good definition (spheres are very good) but tons of webbing. Please help.
Re: Help with settings?
June 03, 2014 10:00AM
Retraction. How I get rid of webbing is setting a good retraction and lower temp. Lower temps means less oozing. But, lower temps also means more friction and resulting lower speeds. If you already have the right temp set then you shouldn't go any lower.
But retraction is usually the fastest, easiest fix for webbing. On my Solidoodle hotend I had a retraction of 3.7mm, with my E3D v5 hotend I have a retraction of 0.8mm.
Unrelated to webbing, to prevent collision and marring of the surface I have a Z lift of 0.05mm.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 03, 2014 10:09AM
I have a solidoodle sd3 extruder. I will give it a try with the 3.7mm retraction. Thanks. I'm already at 195C with PLA. I'll probably try a little lower temp if retraction doesn't do much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 10:11AM by jobzombi.
June 03, 2014 12:52PM
Yeah, Solidoodle 3 hotend [noting that mine was when they were selling the acrylic version] I print at 170C, never a problem. I've printed at 162C for slower, finer prints. Yours might have more accurate temps, so I would definitely take it down a maximum of 5 at a time.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login