Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 1.1.3 generating non-symmetrical pillar supports on my symmetrical object

Posted by RDM6 
Slic3r 1.1.3 generating non-symmetrical pillar supports on my symmetrical object
May 30, 2014 12:48PM
The title basically says it all but here are some pictures:

[imgur.com]

Basically, the object is symmetrical but the pillar supports being generated are not. It is literally putting 2 pillars on one side of the object and only 1 on the other side for no discernible reason. Is this happening to anyone else? Any suggestions to fix it? It is not even printable as is because one entire side of the model is not well supported.

Adjusting the support angle or spacing has no affect. I last attempted printing this object in whatever slic3r version was the last before pillars were introduced, but this model will not work well with other supports because honeycomb or rectilinear supports hit the adjacent walls and do not remove cleanly.

Thanks
Re: Slic3r 1.1.3 generating non-symmetrical pillar supports on my symmetrical object
June 17, 2014 04:57PM
Well yes, there's a reason and it's due to the algorithm that generates pillars. A grid is generated and then clipped to the areas to support. I plan to make it smarter in the future by analyzing the shapes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login