March 27, 2014 12:17PM
Download found here:
http://slic3r.org/
Re: Slic3r has a new release 1.0.0
March 27, 2014 11:52PM
Thanks!
March 28, 2014 04:29AM
Ohhh... looks like some nice goodies in it. Also the some of the new features of 1.1.0 are really interesting.

Congratulations and thanks for the work spent on the release.
March 28, 2014 12:55PM
I downloaded both versions, 1.1.0 is very unstable, crashes constantly. The new features are great so I'll be eagerly looking forward to a stable version.
I'm going to test 1.0.0 now and see how it works...
March 28, 2014 07:32PM
Hi,

the new support material is a nightmare - basically it makes the right thing but it is so thight an solid that it is in many cases simply impossible to remove it without damaging the art or at least the surfaces.

I used the defaults so far to compare it with 9.10b which generates perfect support which can be removed very easy

really a pitty and big dissappointent so far.... any hints or experiences ?

regards
Gerhard
March 30, 2014 11:07AM
Support works fine if you take the time to set it up for your specific use. The defaults will bond tightly to the part, which what I want for my parts. Here are my settings for ABS:

Overhang threshold: 30
Enforce Support: 0
Raft: 0
Pattern: honeycomb
Pattern Spacing: 3
Pattern Angle: 0
Interface Layers: 4
Interface pattern spacing: 1

If you are just a button pusher, then Slicer3r is probably not going to yield very good results. Take the time to research and understand all of the parameters, and you will get very decent output. RC3 was very good -- in spite of the rather nasty thread about bugs. I've found that many issues are caused by 3d models that just aren't designed for proper slicing. Very few models out there in the public domain are optimized for the FFF process, and this leads a lot of frustration for people who expect things to print out like a Word document.

Don
March 31, 2014 12:34PM
I am finding the new support material non-functional. It was a very bad idea to have the support "pillars" go outside of the void footprint.
The pillars are encroaching on the voids of my parts, forming hard walls, that are not easily trimmed or removed.
It also appears that some walls can be double thick, which also makes them hard to remove.

Unfortunately, I have to report that I needed to revert to 0.9.10b in order to use the support material generation, at all.

These pillars also can increase the time needed to print my parts (a Kossel printer at this time) by about 30%.
These are fairly simple parts with a few small voids, but adding these massive pillars, larger than the void foorprint
is very, very burdensome.
March 31, 2014 12:38PM
dtwrv6
Support works fine if you take the time to set it up for your specific use. ...
Don

What settings would you recommend if "binding tightly to your part" makes the part unusable?
I have had to revert to 0.9.10b since the excursion of posts into some small voids,
which do not have ceilings, and do not need support, causes these voids to become non-voids
that can only be cleaned by a full-on machining process.
March 31, 2014 01:29PM
Mr.What
I am finding the new support material non-functional. It was a very bad idea to have the support "pillars" go outside of the void footprint.
The pillars are encroaching on the voids of my parts, forming hard walls, that are not easily trimmed or removed.
It also appears that some walls can be double thick, which also makes them hard to remove.

"pillars" are not part of new features in recent release v1.0.0.
If you have also downloaded the experimental version 1.1. exp you may find this feature added, but as this is for experimenting only you may find that it still needs some work and that the developer would be gratefull for your documented feedback to make an even better program release in the future.
Untill then my advice to you is to use the released version 1.0.0 that would also benefit from extensive testing and reporting back to the developer at this site: [github.com].
April 01, 2014 01:09PM
Hi "Supporters"

seems that there are very different views to the new Support Material and - as usual - most of it may be right from the individual perspective.
I personally have extensive experience in usting Support to pint compex overhang parts with 10b.
And I may say that I'm not a stupid "button presser" smiling smiley

from my point of experieces with 1.0.0.... are identical to Mr.What

I played now 3 full days with all parameters, made an fine adjustment of my printer and spent > 1,5 kg plasic to get somehow results as before - but it is still poor in some areas.

May be Pillars is not the right word for the new additional support which is generated without a ( known) button to prevent it.
one example:

If you print a Part which has a wall with 100 mm hight and you have a horizontal hole near the top:

in 10b you get support material inside the hole - perfect - no artefacts in the surface
in 1.0.0 Satble you get on both sides an "Support Dome" to support the Support - combined with the other "enhancements" the surface is touched thightly by this support and needs to be removed with a knive... you can imagine - the final finish is damaged.

There are some other effects which makes it really hard to remove the support from precise Parts with excessive overhangs....

So I will start to write "bugreports" on Github rahter than write my experiences here - but because I'm since 25 years in the Software Business... I know what I can expect ....

regards
Gerhard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 01:14PM by Printcontrol.
April 01, 2014 03:21PM
Printcontrol
Hi "Supporters"

hi Gerhard
I may understand a few of your frustrations, but maybe you are addressing the wrong people here.
This forum is a "reprap forum" and for most people I would assume that we are all users of somehow the same equipment in a very different design, but basically a reprap user that fight with all the challenges it means to be a reprap printer user and we have all very different experiences and educations that make us what we are: nerds.
This branch of the forum happens to be dedicated to SLIC3R users that try to exchange experiences with this fantastic program, but no one here (I assume) could take the title as "Supporter" so if you are looking for support I think the only way is to address the developers page at Github and try to spell your problems in a way that could challenge the developers to do something about the problems experienced and explain it in a sober and documented way, taking the time it needs to explain another person of what you are aiming.
I see a lot of people at this forum that is only painting this program as a disaster, but never mention the thousands of problems it solves everyday for numerous users outthere, a little balane is needed to keep the enthusiasme with the developer(s).
April 01, 2014 05:24PM
Hi "justcurious"

I see, you took my "Hi Supporters" completely wrong smiling smiley
This was a "hello" to all here which answered to the support discussion here in this Thread....

and you are nearly right - "your" posting is the wrong place to continue a discussion around support in Slic3r.
You are competely right - it is a fantastic program - therefore I already donated - hope you too.

Its up to you to see what may not be right in your answer.

best regards an always silky prints
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login