Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solid fill coming out as open lattice Slic3r 1.0.0RC3

Posted by Miamicraft 
Solid fill coming out as open lattice Slic3r 1.0.0RC3
March 13, 2014 07:41PM
I have calibrated my steps per unit so that when I print a test cube with a single wall the wall thickness is .46mm as expected by slicer.

; generated by Slic3r 1.0.0RC3 on 2014-03-13 at 18:53:11

; layer_height = 0.300
; perimeters = 1 <============
; top_solid_layers = 0
; bottom_solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0
; perimeter_speed = 100
; infill_speed = 150
; travel_speed = 300
; nozzle_diameter = .46 <============
; filament_diameter = 1.645
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.46mm <=============
; infill extrusion width = 0.58mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 1.20mm
; top infill extrusion width = 1.20mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.75mm

When I print the bottom layer @ 200% extrusion width I get a reasonably solid bottom. When I print solid layers 2 and 3 (rectalinear fill) using values from 200% to 500%(desperation) I get an open latice with gaps between between the lines. When I print the cube as a solid with 3 perimiters top side and bottom the top comes out as an open lattice. I didn't have this problem when my extruder steps per unit was way off and single wall was .80 thick.

I think I must be doing something wrong. Just not sure where to look.

Any input appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - Cube.stl (684 bytes)
open | download - slic3r.ini (3.2 KB)
Re: Solid fill coming out as open lattice Slic3r 1.0.0RC3
March 13, 2014 11:46PM
Try less than 200% for the fill value, go for 100% and see how it works. There's something weird about how Slic3r handles those percentages and I haven't get my hear around it quite yet, but in my experience, lower percentages seem to yield thicker extrusions.
March 14, 2014 12:27AM
Captain,
Thanks. By the time I had seen your post I had reverted to 0.9.10b. I tried with 100% and 75%. 75% seemed better. There is no way this makes any sense. Seems like a bug and not a feature.

Will go back to 1.0.0RC3 in the morning and see what happens. Its late and my head hurts.

Thanks again,
Roger
March 14, 2014 04:20AM
Miamicraft
Captain,
Thanks. By the time I had seen your post I had reverted to 0.9.10b. I tried with 100% and 75%. 75% seemed better. There is no way this makes any sense. Seems like a bug and not a feature.

Will go back to 1.0.0RC3 in the morning and see what happens. Its late and my head hurts.

Thanks again,
Roger

hehehe, I feel your pain, I went through something similar a few weeks ago.

Someone here kindly explained to me that the percentages in the advanced settings are in relation with the layer height, not the nozzle diameter as one would expect. So by increasing the % not only the amount of material is increased (in theory), but the spacing between each row of infill is increased too, my WAG is that the relationship between the two variables (extrusion amount and row distance) is not quite right, so that the higher the percentage the wider the rows are separated but the extrusion amount lags behind, so you end up with increasingly sparse infill.

I'm going to run some test prints using absolute values instead of percentages to see how that works.
March 14, 2014 06:03AM
You are looking for troubles when you start with extreme (to me) values to obtain whatever you need.
Try to lower your speeds and set extrusion values to more realistic values close to nozzlewidth as a start.
When that gives stable output, you may try to push limits to improve result.
I doubt that my extruder could deliver what you try here 1.2 mm extrusion width at 150mm/s at 0.3 mmm layer height is a hefty volume for any extruder and would need a well calibrated extruder in any way, mechanical or temperature wize.

; nozzle_diameter = .46
; layer_height = 0.300
; infill_speed = 150
; solid infill extrusion width = 1.20mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login