Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bug on 1.0.0RC3 two of three holes are closed by Slic3r --> solved with workaround

Posted by CaJodo 
Bug on 1.0.0RC3 two of three holes are closed by Slic3r --> solved with workaround
March 13, 2014 04:07AM
as everybody can see, two of the three holes are closed. in RepetierHost, you can see the holes, but after slicing they are closed. I have checked the stl-file, it is OK. Is it my fault?

By the way:
Slic3r is a great program to slice my stl files. I am impressed, what slic3r makes out of my stl-files. Big hands to the developer, you made and you are making a very good job. THX very much CaJoDo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 02:04PM by CaJodo.
Attachments:
open | download - Streifen.stl (21.2 KB)
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-13 um 08.28.53.png (58.8 KB)
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-13 um 08.30.34.png (238.5 KB)
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-13 um 08.30.56.png (88.5 KB)
Re: Bug on 1.0.0RC3 two of three holes are closed by Slic3r
March 13, 2014 06:13AM
hello,
try to rotate the model 90 degrees in slic3r before the slicing.

Enrico

[www.dapa3dservice.it] [www.studiodapa.it]
repstrap dApA, Ramps 1.4, MarlinKimbra / scanner 3D Cubify Sense / Formlabs Form 2
March 13, 2014 02:00PM
Hey, you are a HERO. By changing Z-Rotation to 90 degrees, the problem is solved. I tried also 1 degree, this also solved my problem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 02:01PM by CaJodo.
March 13, 2014 02:17PM
CaJodo
Hey, you are a HERO. By changing Z-Rotation to 90 degrees, the problem is solved. I tried also 1 degree, this also solved my problem

That was the work around for a similar bug in version 0.7.2b which was fixed many many many many versions ago. I guess Slic3rs bugs never really go away they just go dormant for a few releases before being brought back with new bugs. When you get tired of the bugs I recommend Cura or Kisslicer or Skeinforge or Sfact

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sublime
That was the work around for a similar bug in version 0.7.2b which was fixed many many many many versions ago. I guess Slic3rs bugs never really go away they just go dormant for a few releases before being brought back with new bugs. When you get tired of the bugs I recommend Cura or Kisslicer or Skeinforge or Sfact
I agree with the above... and it's a fact !

OMG people, when are you going to get a clue ?...
Slic3r... Out of Control bug list, time to get a clue...

So it looks like the same ol' thing...
Just curious as to why you are still using Slic3r, can you explain your reasoning...
Do I have any takers ?

Stop wasting your time/life, your plastic/money, and your headache medicine, and recoup your life.
My goal here is...
  • If I can steer just one person a day away from Slic3r, and free up there time/life, as so they can spend more time with their family, children, wife, girl friend, friends etc. For me this is my mission. I shorted the people that are important to me, over the last 2-3 years of my time and being there for them, because I always had to try one more tweak or work-around in Slic3r. Then I got a clue, you can't circumvent crappy slicing software by manipulating your slicer profiles, modifying your firmware or blaming your machine.
  • Appreciate the efforts of the Slic3r Development Team, but enough is enough. IMHO they need to start over with fresh architecture, take what they have learned, and limit the cooks in the kitchen (contributors/programmers).

Ditch Slic3r... and enjoy Happy Printing !smileys with beer

Shawn
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

25+ Years Experience as a Manufacturing Engineer and New Product Developer
Three Years Experience... Printing 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, complex and close tolerance functional engineering prototypes.
Printing PLA @0.1mm Layer Height with +- 0.05mm tolerance for all dimensional shapes (except slightly undersized hole I.D.s).
No printing of... toys, trinkets, low quality prints, or other useless printed objects.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 01:06PM by ShawnT98027.
I had a similar problem (see [forums.reprap.org]) which could be solved by rotating the object by 90 degree. However, now I have strange behavior which I could not solve by rotating the object in any way (see Slic4r_Filled_Hole2.png and Slic4r_Filled_Hole2a.png). The top, where I cut out a sphere, is filled. In addition the cut for a hole is not only filled but also some block is added outside of the cylinder (marked both in Slic4r_Filled_Hole2a.png).
Since the cylinder is round I also expected the brim to be round but somehow it looks like objects I used for the cuts are still "there".

Modeling was done using FreeCAD, anything I can change there to avoid this? Any other workaround?

All other things I'm slicing work very well, just the last one gives me a bit of a headache.
Attachments:
open | download - Slic4r_Filled_Hole2.png (39.7 KB)
open | download - Slic4r_Filled_Hole2a.png (227.4 KB)
Re: Bug on 1.0.0RC3 two of three holes are closed by Slic3r --> solved with workaround
March 28, 2014 05:54AM
This BUG occurs in case when option "Printer Settings - Extruder 1 - Nozzle Diameter" is greater or equal option "Print Settings - Advanced - Default Extrusion width"
Nozzle diameter - 0.4 and Default extrusion width - 0.4 = BUG !
Nozzle diameter - 0.4 and Default extrusion width - 0.41 = BUG !
Nozzle diameter - 0.4 and Default extrusion width - 0.39 = GOOD !

Im wrote to author alexrj on github slic3r, but he can't fix this bug. =(
Re: Bug on 1.0.0RC3 two of three holes are closed by Slic3r --> solved with workaround
March 28, 2014 09:43AM
AFAIK nozzle diameter in Slic3r is only used to figure out extrusion widths.

So if you set your extrusion widths manually anyway, you should be good, if you just set set your nozzle diameter to 1mm.
April 04, 2014 05:30AM
Ralf
So if you set your extrusion widths manually anyway, you should be good, if you just set set your nozzle diameter to 1mm.
NO! you a wrong.
nozzle diameter used for calculate dimensions of model.
My cube is 10x10 mm.
If set nozzle diameter to 1mm then makes 0.5*diameter offset from edges of cube.
And if nozzle diameter be more than extrusion width my cube be smallest than 10x10 mm.
radus
Ralf
NO! you a wrong.
My cube is 10x10 mm.
If set nozzle diameter to 1mm then makes 0.5*diameter offset from edges of cube.
And if nozzle diameter be more than extrusion width my cube be smallest than 10x10 mm.

Nozzle diameter (in 1.1.0) is used for:
- Checking layer heights (must be smaller than diameter)
- Checking extrusion width (max 10 times nozzle diameter)
- Clipping loops (small part of closed loop is cut to prevent overlap) (with factor of &Slic3r::LOOP_CLIPPING_LENGTH_OVER_NOZZLE_DIAMETER, currently 0.15)
- Calculating distance of inward move when hiding outer perimeter seam
- Calculating some default values in config wizard
- Checking active support on first layers? (not sure about this part of code)
- Calculating max support material height/rafts?
- Limit height of combined infill
- Calculating extrusion speed! (flow rate) (Flow::mm3_per_mm) and others in Flow.cpp

Flow rates are partially based on nozzle diameter. This is caused by slic3r assumption about extruded shape. See [github.com]
April 08, 2014 04:40PM
radus
NO! you a wrong.
My cube is 10x10 mm.

I was wrong about nozzle diameter only being used as a basis for calculating extrusion width.

The nozzle offset from the edge of the part, will primarily be dependent on the extrusion width, not the nozzle diameter.
April 28, 2014 06:55AM
CaJodo, can you please confirm whether Slic3r 1.0.1 and/or 1.1.1 fix the issue you reported? Thanks for helping!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login