Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration thin wall cube

Posted by Floyd 
Calibration thin wall cube
March 03, 2014 11:44PM
I printed a model of a .4mm wall cube and the actual wall came out .75-.80, what all should I adjust in Slic3r to get my part correct?
Im using a .4mm tip on a magma hot end with .2mm steps on the z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 11:45PM by Floyd.
Re: Calibration thin wall cube
March 04, 2014 07:27PM
I don't think you can get this resolution with FFF technology. To begin with, you cannot get less than 0.4 mm resolution with a 0.4 mm tip. Moreover, actual resolution is likely to be worse, since fused plastic is intended to be smeared on the lower layer and therefore it will get wider than the nozzle size.
March 05, 2014 12:00PM
To begin with, you cannot get less than 0.4 mm resolution with a 0.4 mm tip

Sorry jameson...The above is not correct...

I print 6-8 hours 5 days a week, use a .35mm nozzle tip and print at 0.1mm Layer Height Resolution and maintain tolerance of +-0.05mm for all dimensions (except having slightly smaller hole I.D.s).

Floyd, if your machine is perfectly calibrated, perhaps your flow rate or extrude temperature are having a negative influence of your desired dimensional size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 12:04PM by ShawnT98027.
March 05, 2014 12:57PM
I will post up a picture of the box tonight and show you another issue I was having.
When it starts a new layer it doesnt look good, sometimes I get little blobs and other times its acting like its underextruding. Everything has been calibrated and the box looks great other than where it starts and stops for the layers.
I have retract on at 1mm at 30mm/sec and for the test I was at 50mm/sec on the wall.
Temp is at 225c on the tip and 110c on the bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login