Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicing problem

Posted by Zeeflyboy 
Slicing problem
January 07, 2014 02:53PM
I'm having a problem with Slic3r - I can't see anything wrong with the STL file and Slic3r is not consistent in how it messes up this part.

Here is a screenshot showing the G-code - the two flat panels are the exact same model, but you can see on one slic3r has added a layer over the cross shape on one end. When trying to print the parts solo, I found in one orientation it had problems and if I spun it 90 degrees on the Z axis then it sliced correctly. With this plate containing all parts I have been unable to get it to slice both of the flat plates correctly.

Seems bizarre no? Any idea why it is doing this?
Re: Slicing problem
January 07, 2014 10:15PM
Which version of Slic3r? And are you the stl are fine, no errors at all? You could run them through netfab just to be sure. Or upload one you are having problems with.

I have seen in the past that if there are too many polygons that slic3r just acts weird but that was with older versions and I have not seen it in awhile.

So I would A. try the newest version of Slic3r or B. Either run the stl through netfab or upload it here to be tested.
January 08, 2014 02:55AM
I can see you preview your gcode in Simplify3D Creator, why not just use that to slice? I don't use anything else since vers. 2.0 came out. Only thing missing is other infill patterns.
January 10, 2014 06:21AM
because slicer is generally giving me better results, especially when it comes to smoothing surfaces.

I also prefer honeycomb infill.

tmorris - interesting what you say about too many polygons, I have been saving as high resolution files. Will try with lower and see what happens

cheers
August 19, 2014 06:27AM
Hi all, I am a relative new boy to printing, I made my printer from odds and sods based on pictures of the everbot printer, I have had reasonable success printing a variation of objects both home drawn using Viacad and downloaded from thingiverse, I use kislicer to produce my gcode its free and I find it easer to setup than slice3r, but my last project, a universal paste extruder downloaded from thingiverse is baffleing me, the body printed perfectly but the gear train, three gears are refusing to print right, I have run the stl files through netfab and they look perfect but after slicing when I print them they have areas of teeth missing whilst the remaining teeth are printed fine, this leeds me to think the printer is capable of producing the teath and it must be an error in the gcode so I tried to slice them with slice3r and the results was worse all I achieved was a birds nest, can someone please enlighten me on where to start to solve this problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login