Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Effect of CPU, memory, and 3D Acceleration on Slic3r

Posted by biketool 
Effect of CPU, memory, and 3D Acceleration on Slic3r
February 21, 2013 07:14AM
I am about to order a new computer, I would like to be able to compile objects faster in OpenScad and Slic3r. Where is the money best spent, in the CPU, fast/more memory, or a hot 3D video chip? So far I have been getting by with a few years old netbook and a parted together desktop.
Re: Effect of CPU, memory, and 3D Acceleration on Slic3r
February 21, 2013 09:22AM
I think for Openscad you need all of the above. It has two rendering schemes: OpenCSG, which uses the graphics hardware to give a quick visualisation and CGAL, which uses the CPU to compute the actual geometry. It also uses lots of memory if the design is complex.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 21, 2013 10:39AM
My current pc has an i7-3770k at 3.9ghz, 16gb of fast ram, and a middling gtx 560, and openscad rendering still takes a damn long time sometimes. Openscad can't do any multicore stuff, because the backend libraries can't. I suppose this means you want to get the fastest cpu you can, but if I were you I'd just get a reasonably balanced pc instead of tuning it for a few percent difference in openscad at the cost of general performance. Slic3r flies on my pc, since it does a fair bit of multithreaded stuff. To combat openscad being slow, a good trick is to set $fn to something small like 20 while you're working on your design, then bump it up for the final render, and just leave it until it's done. That way you get to preview a low-poly version with no impact on final quality.
February 21, 2013 01:59PM
Thanks for the info I will keep watching for more opinions. Sounds like fast memory and a hot CPU are where its at, GPU not so important as currently slic3r doesnt take advantage when doing the final compile, but GPU helps when you hit F5 to visualize the code. Especially useful is that slic3r can NOT use muli cores/CPUs I was just watching slic3r today ponging 100% between two CPUs and assumed it was Ubuntu.
July 01, 2014 04:55PM
What about Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258?
it Is unloked 22nm tech. cheep, dual core can be overclocked up to 5 GHz can be atractive for openscad single core rendering .
If somebody try it please replay to me and shere with athers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login