Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

possible to pause between small layers?

Posted by RKMore 
possible to pause between small layers?
December 14, 2012 08:24PM
I admit that I am a noob but I have done my best to read the slic3r documentation and the forums and I can't figure out the following:

Is it possible to pause for a bit, or better yet move up in the Z axis and pause for a bit, between layers when layers are very small?

I am printing a stepped pyramid shape and even with fans going full speed the layers at the top are not sufficiently set up before the next layer is deposited. The result is loss of definition and crispness at the top of the pyramid while the bottom is really quite good.

It seems if I could pull the tip away (to prevent radiant heating of the piece) and wait a moment before starting the next layer it would solve the problem but I cant find the slic3r setting to do that.

It seems like I might be able to do something in the "layer change G code" area but I am not really sure what to put there. Can I do a relative Z move, pause, relative -Z move? Can I make it conditional in some way?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

RKM
Re: possible to pause between small layers?
December 14, 2012 09:44PM
I have heard that a good way to do this is to print another object(s) at the same time so it goes back and forth between them giving cooling time.

If you just pause it would leave a glop in the spot it stopped. Moving up would lessen this but it may be difficult to get it to go back down the the exact same height and may mess up the rest of the print. I think the multiple objects at once is the best cure.
December 15, 2012 08:06AM
Thanks for the reply...

I added the following to the "layer change G-code" section and it helps. I still would like to have it be conditional but for now I will play around with this...

G91 ; go to relative mode
G1 Z4 ; move up 4
G4 P5000 ;pause 5 seconds (5000 milliseconds)
G1 Z-4 ; move down 4
G90 ; go back to absolute mode
July 14, 2013 09:34PM
I know this was a while ago, but I just found it and this code totally saved my prints. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login