Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2mm Thick Walls

Posted by ajayre 
2mm Thick Walls
August 19, 2012 08:09AM
I am using a 0.5mm nozzle and the extrusion width as measured by my calipers is 0.6mm, I've read due to die swell.

When I slice a part with 2mm thick walls Slic3r produces the outside shell and inside shell, both with one filament thickness, but no infill.

2mm / 0.6mm = 3.33

Why isn't there some kind of zig-zag infill in the 0.8mm gap? How do I solve the problem?

Do I need to design my part with a specific thickness? If so do I use 0.5mm or 0.6mm? E.g. would 1.5mm thick wall work or 1.8mm?

Thanks, Andy
Re: 2mm Thick Walls
August 19, 2012 08:49AM
The width of the filament laid down is not related to the free air measurement. It has a height determined by the nozzle height and a width determined by the flow rate versus feed rate.

If you look at the g-code you can see the width Slic3r is using. You then need to make the walls twice that or more than 3 times that for infill.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 19, 2012 10:13AM
Slic3r says:

; single wall width = 0.70mm
; first layer single wall width = 0.80mm

I increased my object's wall thickness to 2.1mm and it is still not filling in between the outer and inner shell. Any ideas what I need to change?

Thanks, Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 10:13AM by ajayre.
Attachments:
open | download - slic3rinfill.jpg (17.8 KB)
August 19, 2012 10:37AM
Try slightly more as exactly three times is an edge case. Also if the first layer is 0.8 you would need > 2.4. I have no idea why the first layer should have a thicker outline.

August 19, 2012 10:40AM
If you actually want 2mm walls you could use a lower layer height as that will make the width smaller as well.

I normally use 0.4mm layers or less with W/T = 1.5, so it is no problem making 2mm walls with infill.

August 19, 2012 11:01AM
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem with slic3r at the moment. If I slice a file in kisslicer it works fine but with slic3r it does not bond the 2 outside perimeters together. Let say I try to print a 50mm dia ring with 3mm thick walls, it will print the outside perimeters and the inside perimeters just fine, but a minute gap is left in the middle. It looks like the fill is going the same way as the perimeters and not zig zagging to join them. The part falls apart when taken off the table. And it is the same for any file I do. If I select 100% fill, no change. It may be my settings but I have tweaked slic3r and e steps till the cows come home, so for now I stick to kisslicer.

Regards
Jan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 10:36PM by IceMan.

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
August 19, 2012 11:19PM
Just did a comparison between slic3r 0.8.4 and 0.9.1, notice the large gap in the middle of first layer in version 0.9.1
I looks like 0.9.1 does some infill as lines parallell to the perimeters. Have looked at a file (squere frame) 100x100x3 and 5mm high. And the fill runs parallell with the perimeters all the way to the top. In older versions the fill is "zigzagging".
I may have missed something in 091, setting of some sort, but I can't find it.
072b has been mentionend as a stable versoin in other threads. May revert back to that one...or kisslicer.(just can't stand the fill in kisslicer)
Regards
Jan

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
Attachments:
open | download - First Layer slicer 0.8.4.JPG (32.2 KB)
open | download - First Layer slicer 0.9.1.JPG (47 KB)
open | download - Second Layer and onwards slicer 0.9.1.JPG (44.1 KB)
August 19, 2012 11:43PM
It doesn't do infill parallel to the outline. What you are seeing is a result of the first layer width being higher. You can adjust that under Print Settings/Advanced/First Layer. Set it to 0 to have the first layer match the successive layers.

You can also turn off "Generate extra perimeters when needed" under the Print Settings if Slic3r is generating more perimeters than you want.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 20, 2012 03:14AM
Try 091,
I have checked those settings and it makes no difference.
If 091 does do any infill at all for this file (the squere frame), then it does do it paralell to the outline for this file. The frame is made up of only parallell lines, top to bottom. Squares inside squares. It is a fast way of printing, but the part falls apart. 072 does it fine (same settings)

Regards
Jan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 06:08AM by IceMan.
August 20, 2012 04:06AM
NewPerfection Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't do infill parallel to the outline.
> What you are seeing is a result of the first layer
> width being higher. You can adjust that under
> Print Settings/Advanced/First Layer. Set it to 0
> to have the first layer match the successive
> layers.

In Slice3r 0.9.1 I have that already set to zero, yet it thinks the first layer width is a lot wider. This means I can't do any walls thinner than 2.5mm even though I have a layer height of 0.3mm. sad smiley

Andy
August 20, 2012 01:00PM
ajayre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Slice3r 0.9.1 I have that already set to zero,
> yet it thinks the first layer width is a lot
> wider. This means I can't do any walls thinner
> than 2.5mm even though I have a layer height of
> 0.3mm. sad smiley
>
> Andy

Sounds like a bug. With that set to zero it should be doing the same width for the first layer as all subsequent layers.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 20, 2012 05:11PM
NewPerfection Wrote:

> Sounds like a bug. With that set to zero it
> should be doing the same width for the first layer
> as all subsequent layers.

For my 0.5mm nozzle setting default extrusion width to zero gives 0.7mm and setting first layer extrusion width to zero gives 0.8mm. Setting them both to 200% gives 0.6mm which matches what my machine outputs.

Andy
August 23, 2012 07:10AM
I try to print the attached stl (a switch support for the y end course) I get the path as in the first pic
nozzle 0.5 , 0.35 height and extrusion width 0.5 everywhere in advanced tab
the print is as expected totally hollow with no structural strength so useless

when i slice it with Kisslicer with the same configuration i get the path as the second pict and the print is totally filled with a normal strength

anyway with 0.5 width and wall of 2mm it must be at least 3 width

so it is not a pb in the design of the part or in the tuning of slic3r but a big problem in the algorithm inside the slicer making it unusable for the print of small parts or thin wall

that a long time there is report of pb with the thin wall and no progress on this crucial issue.

that's a pity, for a slicer otherwise very good (and the las version is very very good)
Attachments:
open | download - thin wall.JPG (16.7 KB)
open | download - support switch z.stl (164 KB)
open | download - thin wall kiss.JPG (29.6 KB)
August 23, 2012 05:16PM
next try
with the attached STL 0.4 height 0,8 width the first layer is ok , 3 widths no gap as seen in the first pict

but the next layers there is only 2 width and a gap

that the perfect demonstration there is a flaw in the algorithm

sometime it take the right filling some time not

thank you
Attachments:
open | download - thin wall bis.JPG (49.1 KB)
open | download - thin wall bis 2.JPG (52.4 KB)
open | download - dessus.stl (291.5 KB)
August 29, 2012 03:33PM
I noticed that behavior on quite a few of the parts that were made for my (impending) machine, both in parts parts printed using output from 9.1 and 8.4. When the gap is less than what slic3r interprets as infill area, it simply does nothing and the part is hollow from the top layer on down to the bottom layer. In some cases, I'm sure that would be no problem, but if one is producing parts that require mechanical stability, it is obviously problematic unless resolved within the original model or at the path tool generator.

Maybe this could be remedied if slic3r had a "min void width" setting, in which a void of less than the user-defined value would be automatically solid-filled.
September 02, 2012 05:21AM
I think the basic option must be "filling the hollow wall" activated, if you want only the wall, you can set the infill to 0

there is no use to be able to print small part with no strength
September 10, 2012 04:06PM
For the record, same problem. I have two very large parts that get glued together and they both have 2mm wide vertical walls. I've tried numerous extrusion width settings and cannot get the walls to be infilled. This is a huge problem since I need those walls to be strong. Just started using an old Slic3r version in the mean time since nothing else that has been added makes any difference for these parts. Sure wish this would get fixed though. Trying to dial in a prototype before getting molds made and this has made the last tweaks really difficult.
January 20, 2013 02:44PM
I had the same problem when using slic3r 0.7.1. I downloaded the latest & greatest today (version 0.9.8), and that works perfectly! Seemingly, the bug has been solved.

Thanks, Alessandro!
January 31, 2013 02:20PM
Thanks to you for confirming! Lots of work went into this, and a new gap filling implementation is being tested currently.
March 25, 2014 11:16PM
This is a rather old thread, but in case someone goes searching (like me) for a solution to the same problem in my case the fix was to set in Printe Settings > Infill > "Solid infill threshold area" to 0, the default was 70,
March 25, 2014 11:34PM
CaptainObvious
This is a rather old thread, but in case someone goes searching (like me) for a solution to the same problem in my case the fix was to set in Printe Settings > Infill > "Solid infill threshold area" to 0, the default was 70,

Seems that I spoke too early...

It looked good on the preview, but after printing the problem persists, there was a significant improvement but there are some gaps still.
April 27, 2015 05:22AM
if i use 1mm walls and 0.4mm extrusion in the latest stable version of slic3r, it infills the walls with a line, but anything smaller that 0.4 makes empty walls. the print result with 0.4mm was stronger but less pretty, i could see light through the wall and gaps between most layers somewhere on the model. I figure that making the extrusion 130 percent and height 0.4 will make the toughest result.
April 27, 2015 05:31AM
I had a similar problem in slic3r 1.2.6. I was using a 0.5mm nozzle, with slic3r extrusion width set to zero (i.e. default), and I was trying to print a part with a 1.5mm wall. Slic3r generated the perimeters, but nothing in between them. I eventually realised that slic3r was using an extrusion width greater than 0.5mm (probably 0.6mm). I increased that wall thickness to 1.8mm in the model, and it worked properly.

It has since been suggested to me that un-checking the "Detect thin walls" box might have fixed the problem.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login