Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

location of default config

Posted by Replace 
location of default config
April 17, 2012 03:37PM
Hi all,

every time I load Slic3r, it comes up with the same defaults.
even if I change them and save the configuration, next time the old defaults are there.

Loading the saved file solves the problemn, but I expect that I can save my preferences in the default config file.
Is that possible and where is it located?

rgrds

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: location of default config
April 17, 2012 03:44PM
April 17, 2012 04:01PM
I tried that on your tip, but I can not find a file like that.
even if I save the config in that folder, it will not reload by default.

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
April 17, 2012 04:09PM
The latest binary downloaded from slic3r.org (not github) has it in the main folder and it is called 0.55x0.2.ini

The github version had it in the bin folder but the latest one no longer seems to have it anywhere. (sorry for the confusion)

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 18, 2012 02:48AM
I downloaded it again, from slic3r.org, but no such file could be found
Same problem ... Config will be default every startup.

April 18, 2012 03:45AM
You can make it load any config you want by using --load /path/to/config/file.ini

So in your launcher or menu change the file it opens from "slic3r.pl" to "slic3r.pl --load /full/path/to/config.ini"

Be sure to have the full path to the config and also the slic3r.pl if it was already that way in your launcher.

It explains it in the readme included with the github version.

Maybe I have the default files because I am on Linux.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 18, 2012 07:27AM
I wrote a blog post back in december with step-by-step instructions on how to automatically load your own slic3r profile on windows.

[brazenartifice.wordpress.com]

hope that helps,
December 08, 2013 01:08AM
@Brazen,

I've tried your instructions, they do not seem to work for Windows 7 64bit, I don't get the options you describe under > Right Click >Properties
December 08, 2013 07:40AM
I'm not sure what is meant here, but if this helps all well and good...
On Windows 7/8, the profiles are stored in folders under c:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r (there is a folder there for filament, print and printer). There is also a file called slic3r.ini which holds data on last used profile etc.

Hope this helps.

Harvey
January 15, 2014 12:51PM
HarveyC has it right. If you upgrade to a new version of Slic3r and you get the problem mentioned above, you gotta erase them all! I've even been getting the problem with 1.0.0RC2
January 15, 2014 01:14PM
You cannot (intentionally) change default values, that is why they are called defaults.
But make your changes and export your settings to a new config file "anyname" and reload this file replacing defaults.
Next time you start slic3r this file will be the "default file" until you load another one and you can change and save this file.
Any number of config files can be made with different names or different purposes.
Where these files are located does not really matter, but you can place them anywhere when exporting.
Try to keep it simple :-)
January 15, 2014 03:03PM
The printer/print/filament configuration files do not work well when you are invoking slic3r from within pronterface. Pronterface wants to use the --load option to load a configuration file. This file is a single file combining the contents of the three separate configuration files into a single file. This config file is not saved within slic3r by using the save buttons - it must be exported from the file menu. Inside the file menu, you can navigate to the directory where you want to store the config files and write it there. Then in the pronterface config, you need to give it a command line to invoke slic3r. Part of that command line if the --load option and the location of the single config file you exported specified by the full path.

Actually, in my experience, slic3r does not support the use of the 3 config files as options on the command line. When I wrote my own host program, I liked the way slic3r organized the configuration options, but the only way I could get it to work was to write code to merge these 3 files into a single file and then pass that file to slic3r using --load.
March 09, 2015 02:42PM
you have to run the config wizard on it, it kind of makes some default ini's that you can save. in the new version anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login