Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use inches instead of metric system

Posted by GITRDUN 
Use inches instead of metric system
March 30, 2012 09:56PM
Is there any way to change over to inches instead of having to program everything in metrics? I have spent over 20 years programming CNC's and i feel lost trying to think in metric vs inches. Its a pain to have to convert feedrates and such into inches so i can grasp what speed its actually going to run at.
Re: Use inches instead of metric system
March 31, 2012 10:51AM
It would be easier to get used to working with mm. Try to stop converting to inches in your head. Machining feed rates aren't really a relevant comparison to printing feed rates anyway.

I was raised on inches, but working in the world economy, I've had to start thinking about machining in mm (I design fixtures for a living). It doesn't take too long for the metric numbers to start feeling comfortable. After a while you start to realize it really is a better system.
April 01, 2012 12:23AM
Or just change your fimware from steps/mm to steps/inch and scale all of the models you get off the web by 1/25.4.
Dont try to participate in discussions about accelleration or feed rate limits though, because youll just confuse everyone.
April 01, 2012 08:19AM
Working in the Aerospace Industry for Many years and as specially when working with US Military and commercial aircraft, all I've used is Inches. Working in mm is heaven smiling smiley But I do understand your pain. In any case my point being it has been much easier for me to go to mm than the MM guys coming over to inches lol

Mind You gregs method would work perfectly fine.
CNC
April 10, 2012 12:07PM
Hi
I have just started doing some prints using Slic3r, and yes indeed if your an "inch guy" it can be a real pain

I am using Mach3 as my control, and what I have been doing is adding a G21 to the gcode which allows me to leave all Mach settings in imperial, and print a metric part, not a full solution but it does help

I believe slic3r should add an option for imperial, but it seems everytime they add to the program, they take something out,
like ver. 6 had the ability to assign any axis letter to the extruder, now version 7 you can only have letter A assigned to the extruder, with the added (mach3 emc setup) other then this strange programing mentality, I really like it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 12:08PM by CNC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login