Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicing file size limitations?

Posted by mydogjustice 
Slicing file size limitations?
March 27, 2012 05:59AM
Is there a limit on how large of a file can be slic3d? I ran into a curious bit with one lately. I had a model that was large to begin with at 136mb. It slic3d the file at normal size. Took approx 2 minutes. Printed fine without any problems. I decided it would be a fun print to print larger, so I doubled its size in slic3r (Scale=2) and 12 hours later it never finished. Dialouge was still up about generating infill, but processor showed almost zip for activity.

I realize what I asked for was a pretty big task, but I'm working on a PC thats a real beast on power. I know I can get someone to resize the model or provide a lower resolution model, but I just thought it was worth asking. Or is it hiccup in the program regarding scaling?

JW

Josh

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
//Prusa / RAMPS_1.4 & ATMega_2560 / Slic3r > Pronterface > Marlin / Luck
Re: Slicing file size limitations?
March 27, 2012 05:08PM
I wonder if I'm having a similar issue.

When slicing a reasonable size STL (4.6Mcool smiley at an unreasonable resolution (0.05mm) I have windows tell me slic3r has crashed.

I can slice at that resolution just fine with smaller STL's
Re: Slicing file size limitations?
March 27, 2012 05:32PM
I'm not even trying to do anything that "irrational"! But good for you! I think I had layer height set at .3 and its really not an overly complex model. I had another one that I set to slice before I left for work and it never completed. It wasnt a huge file and not a particularly huge print, but I would say that its rather intricate with lots of holes and overhangs and just a complex print. I did have the settings fairly mild though. 8 hours at work and it never got past the infill status. I cant say it ever "crashes", it just quits doing its thing.

Makes me kinda wish it actually had a status that said where it was in the process instead of a %bar. "Now infilling layer xxx of total xxxxxxxx"

I'm ever grateful for the guys that put this program together! I guess I could try slicing it in SFact, but that just sounds miserable and I'd quite frankly rather skip the print!

Josh

//Prusa / RAMPS_1.4 & ATMega_2560 / Slic3r > Pronterface > Marlin / Luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login