Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r artifacts/blobs on corners - anyone else had?

Posted by mattnedgus 
Slic3r artifacts/blobs on corners - anyone else had?
March 03, 2012 05:54PM
Hi,

I've attached a couple of images of blobs I keep getting regularly on both netfabb/meshlab processed and unprocessed files when sliced by Slic3r (running through Sprinter). The blobs accumulate at the corners of builds - and on the last one so much filament was deposited that it stopped the Y axis moving over it (even with z axis retraction it couldn't clear in) and offset the rest of the print.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had them before - I haven't been able to find any mention googling them (or at least the versions I seem to have)? They're reproducible and I've watched the printer purposely print them (it comes back to that spot and extrudes a blob and then moves on) so I know it's not improper retraction settings or anything.

Any ideas?

Matthew

EDIT: in one image the blobs appear as a protrusion around the left hand edges of the tear/ water drop shapes and in the other the stick out from the corner to the right, with a gap in the Z height - they're not as consistent

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 06:10PM by mattnedgus.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0309.JPG (364.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0311.JPG (368.6 KB)
Re: Slic3r blobs on corners - anyone else had?
March 03, 2012 06:09PM
I've managed to get a toolpath image from Repetier Host if that helps explain what's going on - on the left hand side of the hole you can see how the corner looks to be made of 2 layers of extrusion? This is the point at which it's laying down (sometimes) significant amounts of filament.
Attachments:
open | download - Repetier image.jpg (62.9 KB)
Re: Slic3r artifacts/blobs on corners - anyone else had?
March 05, 2012 11:55PM
I had similar problems. Experimentation showed that my retraction speed was set too high.

Seems like I could extrude at the default speed, but not retract reliably. So when the g-code tried to hop from one object to another, it failed to retract, then moved, then squirted out a blob that would have exactly compensated for the retraction that didn't happen. I couldn't find an option for 'do not compensate', so I had to slow down my retract speed.

I used pronterface's 'extrude' and 'retract' buttons to work out what values my makergear mendel prusa with brut-head extruder could accept, in milimetres per minute, then converted them to mm/sec to enter into Slic3r's 'retraction speed' field.

Problem (mostly) solved. I still sometimes have an issue with ooze, especially when I use natural PLA, which is very soft and extrudes at much lower temperature than pigmented PLA.
March 05, 2012 11:57PM
Arghh. Sorry. That was a fix for a completely different problem - blobbing at the start of lines. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone else.
March 12, 2012 09:17AM
Thanks for your suggestions tho :-) Anything that helps me try and understand why it's deciding to inject blobs in certain places is most welcome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login