Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

infill in small areas

Posted by 42loop 
infill in small areas
February 21, 2012 08:27AM
hi all,
basically slic3r just works great for me, and I'm not sure wether this question is slic3r specific: while on larger areas of a part everything prints fine and makes very smooth surfaces, on smaller areas the infill keeps bulging upwards, so some layers later, the extruder nozzle rumbles over these areas and eventually gets stuck or the printer looses steps. i'm using slic3r 0.61-dev, printing ABS at 0.3 layer height, infill density 0.5 and 2 perimeters.
anybody has an idea of which setting to tweak ?

grtx
Attachments:
open | download - rubble.JPG (26.2 KB)
Re: infill in small areas
February 21, 2012 10:21AM
Perhaps you should turn down your Extrusion Multiplier in order to get less plastic?
February 21, 2012 11:56AM
my extrusion multiplier is at 1, and everything is great in larger parts.
but now i set the perimeter count to 1 and that somehow leveraged the problem...

grtx
February 21, 2012 03:51PM
re-ing myself:

Sound: I just looked at the gcode graphics and found that the smaller an area is, the earlier it tends do get full infill, as if it thinks its a solid surface. in the attach, the small areas at top and bottom already have full infill (without any reason) , while the one to the left has full infill in the next slice cause its getting smaller.
hm

grtx
Attachments:
open | download - smallareasbigfill.png (50.5 KB)
February 21, 2012 03:57PM
I have always thought that was one of the best features of Slic3r (solid infill on small parts for stength). I would agree with sound that if they are coming out to full you need to adjust your extrusion multiplier or E steps per mm

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 22, 2012 05:33AM
@42loop: "without any reason" is not true. That happens on purpose. A low density infill wouldn't work on small parts.
I still believe that you should turn down your extrusion multiplier.
February 22, 2012 07:41AM
sorry, you were all right. didnt realize this 'full infill in small areas' was a feature. also since i always printed with 50% infill only i didnt realize there was too much plastic being extruded - but as a beginner probably you always use too much, for example to make it stick to the bed.

thanx & grtx
February 24, 2012 03:43PM
You can safely use half of that. The printed parts on my machines were all done at 25% infill, for example. Non-structural parts usually don't even need 10%, because the infill there is really only used to support top layers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login