Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any difference between various PLA brands?

Posted by drmaestro 
Any difference between various PLA brands?
April 15, 2018 01:16AM
Hi,

There are many different PLA brands out there and I was wondering if there are major differences between brands. I am especially interested in knowing if those special PLAs (like PLA + or pro) make any difference, or at the end of the day we have the same material with various marketing gimmicks.

Any thoughts?
Re: Any difference between various PLA brands?
April 15, 2018 01:59AM
Sure there are differences. I have a spool or two, which should better be labelled "might contain traces of PLA" because it was mixed up with something else.
April 15, 2018 09:04PM
The colourants are all "trade secrets" so that means that every single different supplier is a different composition. This changes the characteristics of how it melts, flows and prints.
April 16, 2018 05:14PM
I have had brands of PLA that would not stick to the bed worth a $hit, complete waste....

change the spool to another brand and instant success....

there are differences trust me.

when you find one that works for you and you dial in the settings, try not to switch if you can avoid it smiling smiley
May 08, 2018 05:38AM
Is it only old PLA that snaps when left on the machine between the spool and the inlet to the machine or is this a brand to brand variance too? I'm currently using up the old PLA that came with a NOS Ormerod2 kit that must have been originally manufactured/collated/packed 2014/2015.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login