Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS printing issue

Posted by RC-CnC 
ABS printing issue
March 29, 2018 07:59PM
I have excellent results with lower profile prints, but Im trying to print a PSU cover and about 2/3 the way a layer starts to delaminate. Not completely but it looked different to me and I was able to completely break it at that point. 230/105 25% infill no cooling fan. Print is 115mmx30mmx75mm, 3mm bottom 2mm sides Thought maybe it was cooling off too fast, so my second attempt I covered the printer to hold the heat in. Still same result. Maybe try a higher extrusion temp? What are your thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 08:00PM by RC-CnC.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (15.6 KB)
Re: ABS printing issue
March 29, 2018 08:20PM
[drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2018 07:52AM
The key element for reliable ABS prints is the heated enclosure. Often enough a Mylar foil as a cover is sufficient for ad hoc printing. It makes more sense to design a printer with a real enclosure if you want to print ABS often. I have a cubicle printer with PC panels where the heatbed and other components bring the internal temperature to 50C, so no extra heater neccessary.
The dentists blog entry is over all very helpfull, i would disagree with his comments regarding teflon in hotends, i am printing ABS for years with my Merlin and did not have a single case of decomposed teflon, even though the hotend is running without extra cooling (no fan). Also ABS printed parts easily withstand the heat in the chamber, my extruders are all printed as are all other parts, it is a true reprap, and i have no issues with them.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 30, 2018 08:45AM
Fresh filament? I noticed delams on a old opened spool of abs which pops some.
I had never noticed delams at layers before, and nothing else on the printer changed.

Maybe it dry it out some first?
March 30, 2018 03:01PM
SREK

All I print is ABS smiling smiley
I'm design can easily be adapted into a cube style printer, I just need to buy more extrusion smiling smiley
I currently 2hrs into a 6hr print and I have the printer draped with a wool blanket atm, and of course it is attended. I'll post some results later
March 31, 2018 01:05AM
Well unfortunately about hr 3 the extruder must have clogged moody smiley
Finally got to change over to the SS nozzles I got and then proceeded to have another 4 hrs of issues with the
first layer not sticking ugh!!!
Finally just peeled off the relatively new PEI sheet and put on a new one

Do PEI sheet got to crap that quickly? Less than a week? Maybe it's the quality of the sheet?
March 31, 2018 04:10AM
Even thin PEI sheets work for many months for me and only suffer when i do something stupid. I have yet to damage a single PEI sheet or plate by intended use.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 31, 2018 06:43AM
We have a piece of 60 mil (1.4 mm) PEI on a printer at the makerspace that has been on the machine for over 2 years of daily use by people who aren't always concerned for its well being (someone once "cleaned" it with a wire brush I keep on the machine to clean the extruder nozzle) and it still works fine. About every 6 months I clean it thoroughly to restore like new stickiness.

I use 30 mil PEI on my machine at home because I know it won't be abused. It's been on the machine for >6 months and is working fine.

300x300x0.7 mm PEI costs about $15 via amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 06:44AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login