Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help: First layer off of actual level

Posted by Averybot 
Help: First layer off of actual level
December 02, 2017 01:52PM
Hello!
I just build my HyperCube printer and am having a few problems with the first layer. It has a glass bed and four corner screw adjustments. I leveled the hotend with a piece of paper to make sure it's the correct height away from the glass.
When I go to print, it homes, then starts to print. My issue I'm having is the printer seems to lower the bed about 1mm from the hotend.
What might be going on here? I adjusted the settings in Cura to even be -0.1 for the Z offset. Is there a setting in Marlin that I need to change?

Thanks in advance!

- Avery
Re: Help: First layer off of actual level
December 02, 2017 02:34PM
Problem #1 is 4 "leveling" screws.

Think back to high school geometry. How many points does it take to define a plane in space? Why are you trying to define a plane with 4 points?

See: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 02, 2017 02:41PM
Ok then, how else would I level my bed on my printer?

It's the HyperCube printer on Thingiverse, and about 155 people have successfully made this design with it printing. I think it might be something with Cura, since the Initial Layer Height is set to 0.3mm, but if I change it, it makes the extruder work slower resulting in a horrible first layer. That's where I'm stuck, and the prints aren't sticking to the plate because of that 0.3mm offset.
December 04, 2017 07:44PM
Averybot
Ok then, how else would I level my bed on my printer?

It's the HyperCube printer on Thingiverse, and about 155 people have successfully made this design with it printing. I think it might be something with Cura, since the Initial Layer Height is set to 0.3mm, but if I change it, it makes the extruder work slower resulting in a horrible first layer. That's where I'm stuck, and the prints aren't sticking to the plate because of that 0.3mm offset.

Your first layer height is actually how thick the first layer of plastic that is going to be put down on the print surface.

While you 'leveled' the bed you did not actually set the height of the print surface, what you did was made a sort of spread sheet with the individual deviations for each point and then stored it on the controller.
Now that your controller knows where the print surface has high spots and low spots you still have to set the distance between the hot end tip and the print surface as zero so that the controller can lift the hot end exactly .3 (or so) from that surface.

This is likely called Z-offset or something like that. Depends on what controller/firmware/display panel you are working with.
You can adjust this in your slicer but read below first.

I am going to offer a few ideas based on assumption that your using marlin firmware on some 8 bit controller like Ramps.

first does your bed home up to a set level and then when you print change that level?
If so then you have to think about if you change your z end stop height will that cause your head to hit your bed?

If not, the easiest thing to do is do a few tiny adjustments to your z end stop to raise your bed up to your hot end.
Just a tiny bit per test until you get a good first layer.

IF your going to hit your hot end into your bed because maybe your bed lifts 1mm pre print, now you might have other issues.

Next you might find in your controllers panel something in one of the sub menu's that allows you to adjust z offset.

last you can adjust in your slicer, its a good way as some times if you change from ABS to PLA you want to adjust how much your squishing your first layer....
This is part of doing up material profiles in Cura...

I will leave this much with you and see where it gets you.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login