Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

threaded rod question +software

Posted by printjunkie 
Re: threaded rod question +software
December 18, 2017 03:03PM
Exactly as obewan said, the default for MOST setups (assuming that is what is in use) is (Power outputs: Hotend, Fan, Bed)

so the setup expects the fan to be on the second hotend controller and routes all the fan commands to that output.
December 19, 2017 01:19PM
Since the fan is plugged into the extruder output, won't the printer think that the fan is another extruder? If so, would i have to control the fan speed by changing the "extruder" temperatures?

So the board doesnt actually use the second extruder and just expects it to be a fna? Sorry, this kind of confuses me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 01:21PM by printjunkie.
December 20, 2017 04:59PM
NOT the extruder output, the hotend output.

NO you do not tell your system to turn up the second hot end, the programing is setup so it has NO second hot end.
The programing is aware the fan is on the second hotend output and when you say 'Fan on" with M106 it will put power to that output expecting a fan connected there.
If you try to turn up the second hot end with an actual hotend command like say M109 S200 T1 (set hotend #T1 to 200c note the first hotend is T0) it would return an error because its configured as ONE hotend so T1 does not exist.

Now, there are differing ways of distinguishing extruder etc. In my book an extruder is a stepper motor mounted to a system to push filament at a specific rate.
A hotend is the place where a heater and a thermistor work together to keep a specific temp to melt that filament and using the feed pressure supplied by the other part (extruder) apply it to the layer at hand.

In some cases you have to distinguish how people communicate about these two functions (that work closely together) as I constantly see things like "what temp should I set my extruder to?"
Extruders FEED its a motor! They don't have a temp setting!!

Its a pet peeve smiling smiley

might just be me....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login