Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Less stringing without cooling?

Posted by Hauser 
Less stringing without cooling?
August 27, 2017 06:53PM
Hi all,

I'm nearly finishing tuning up Prusa i3 I had collecting dust over for a while. I installed a part cooling fan and printed a Benchy ship to test it out. I'm really impressed how much the quality of the print improved, specially when printing bridges. I heard about it, but man!
Here is the before (right) and after (left): Click here.
All on relative terms, of course. I had the printer collecting dust because I wasn't able to get it to work, so for the that ship is a huge step forward.

One thing I noticed is that I got more stringing than before I added the fan. Since I tinkered a bit here and there I haven't worried much about it. All the 3D printing troubleshooting guides I've seen always tell the same regarding stringing: retraction, temperature, speed, etc. So I download a retraction test from thingiverse.com and I started playing with the retraction. I went from 2 mm@40 mm/s up to 10 mm@60 mm/s. See results clicking here. After finding no noticeable success, I decided to run a print without cooling fan, which led to the top-left piece on the photo above. Now, I've been googleing like mad and I haven't found any instance of troubleshooting to stringing where the solution was to shut down the cooling fan.

So, has somebody else experienced something like this? Please tell me I'm not the only one [insert John Goodman meme here] with this weird issue...

As a reference, the new hotend holder setup is this one (the tape doesn't touch the print.

Any input and constructive debate is welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Felix
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login