Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PETG support material for PLA

Posted by Michel000 
PETG support material for PLA
May 24, 2017 05:21AM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone use PETG as a support material for PLA prints ? Or PLA as support for PETG.

I printed 2 color part by accident with PLA and PETG, and everything printed fine only i could break away the PETG really easy from the PLA
leaving a really nice surface.

So i think i will try to use it as a support material (only when i can break it away) its easyer to print and cheaper than pva .
Re: PETG support material for PLA
May 24, 2017 09:08AM
You're the first one claiming PETG is easy to print... or is it PVA, which causes so much trouble? ( all the hassle with drying it before print )
I tried mixing PLA and PETG in a diamond hotend, but the required temperatures are to different.
You could use a dual nozzle hotend, but there are other differences, like fan cooling and print speed.

I hope you can prove me wrong....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 09:08AM by o_lampe.
May 25, 2017 05:31AM
I dont have any problems printing petg .
I do use 2 different extruders and hotends.
June 06, 2017 07:22AM
Can't say I've had any problems with petg, but my experience is limited to colorfabb nGen and HT and they are likely not a pure petg polymer. Going to get some of their economy petg soon and see how that goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 07:23AM by Origamib.
June 06, 2017 03:57PM
I've just finished printing a complete set of all the plastic parts of my printer as spares, using E3D Edge which is a PETG. It's a bit stringy and has an affinity for sticking to the nozzle but it doesn't need support!

Well maybe it might but the fan ducts on my X carriage have a 31mm bridge which Edge managed without support. Here is a picture of it

As for PETG not sticking to PLA, maybe that's because it was printed at PLA temperature which would be a bit on the low side for PETG?

A good combination for a mixing hot end might be E3D Edge plus "Scaffold" for the supports as they seem to require very similar temperatures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login