Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Object Dimensions are skewed after changing nozzle and controller

Posted by fullHundo 
Object Dimensions are skewed after changing nozzle and controller
April 26, 2017 02:46PM
Hi everybody!

So, I just replaced the nozzle and controller board on my printer, and I'm now having dimensional issues that I've never had before. I printed a 20mm test cube, and it came out slightly skewed, resembling more of a diamond than a square.

I also printed a chip bag clip, and the closing arm of the clip seems to be 1 - 2 mm longer than it should be compared to previous prints of this same object. As a result, the bag clip is much harder to close.

What can I adjust to fix this? I haven't changed any steps/mm settings for the X or Y axes, and I didn't have this issue before changing the nozzle and controller.

Thanks!
Re: Object Dimensions are skewed after changing nozzle and controller
April 26, 2017 05:58PM
Its possible you accidentally shifted the frame out of square. Measure the distances from the front left of the Y to the Z X frame the from the back of the Y to the Z X frame, be as accurate as possible then do the same for the other side. Digital calipers that lock make it really easy to check this as you can measure say the front left, then lock the calipers then check the front right.
April 26, 2017 10:37PM
That makes sense, I have moved the machine around repeatedly while making modifications over the past two weeks. I didn't think to check that it was still square, but that definitely would explain the behavior. I will make sure the frame is square and try another test print tonight. Thanks!
April 27, 2017 03:23PM
I re-squared the frame axes and reprinted both objects. There still seems to be a very slight skew, but the objects are turning out much better than before. Thanks for the tip! Would improper steps/mm also have anything to do with this type of issue? I set those values according to my kit directions and I haven't tweaked them at all since.
April 27, 2017 06:29PM
The steps/mm should be set to the mathematically determined value using, pulley teeth, belt pitch, motor step size and micro stepping (http://www.prusaprinters.org/calculator/). Anyone who tells you you can "calibrate" your printer by adjusting your steps has out dated info as this was a quick fix we did in the early days of the reprap project.

A square frame is the only thing that will fix skewed prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 09:07PM by scottybfg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login