Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer not making holes with good dimensions

Posted by batata004 
Printer not making holes with good dimensions
April 10, 2017 09:11AM
Please take a look at the simple attached file. When I print it, the dimensions of the cube are very precise BUT the dimensions of the hole dont. In this hole I was supposed to be able to insert a screw with 2.6 mm diameter. But after printing I cant insert the screw inside it, the hole is too smal (maybe 1.7mm).

I am printing with highest precision (0.1mm layer high, really low speed...). How can I improve this?
Attachments:
open | download - aaa.stl (28.3 KB)
Re: Printer not making holes with good dimensions
April 10, 2017 01:36PM
Change the hole size and print again.
Its a known issue that holes are always undersized
April 10, 2017 03:00PM
Thanks man, I thought there was a parameter to fix this. I changed the hole size a bit and it worked. Thanks a lot.!
April 11, 2017 11:55AM
can't remember where i found this, but it ios handy

They suggested that where X mm was the required diameter of the hole then Y mm was the dimension needed to achieve it and that:
a) for vertical holes Y = 1.0155X + 0.2795 mm
b) for horizontal holes Y = 0.9927X + 0.3602 mm

These figures were for PLA, and as I understand it, they take into account various factors including the fact that the inside of the hole is unrestrained against shrinkage.

April 11, 2017 01:46PM
Floyd
Change the hole size and print again.
Its a known issue that holes are always undersized

indeed...!
April 13, 2017 05:46AM
How come there is no internal program within the slicers to identify holes and then compensate for the shrinkage(which is I assume is the cause for this) during slicing?
April 13, 2017 09:09AM
Not sure honestly. My software at work for cnc lasers and plasmas compensates for inner holes if I want easy enough...
April 13, 2017 10:48AM
I expect shrinkage is not a standard number for all materials and all manufactured filaments. PLA, PLA+, PET, PETG, ABS, ABSPlus, Nylon would all have varying degrees of plastic shrinkage and I would assume you'd even see different shrinkage between PLA for example of different brands all based on what other "fillers" the plastic contains.

I've seen the Stratasys uPrint SE printers compensate for this, but those use their own custom slicer software and the machines are eprom locked to only use the Stratasys uPrint ABSPlus material cartridges.
April 13, 2017 01:41PM
True, we have a uPrint SE plus at work that I use and the spools are $205 per but they work flawlessly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login