Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Posted by Ryan_M 
Any ideas on what might be causing this?
March 25, 2017 11:18PM
Printed this spacer - basically a cylinder - and I'm getting this weird stuff going on. I know that the software makes circles out of short line segments but this is almost making nubs at the end of each line segment. The printer sounds like it's having a seizure when printing. I hope I got the light right to show whats going on. FWIW I draw in ACAD 2010 and export to stl, then import into repetier host and slice with slic3r. I've used that combo for a couple years and have never seen this. This is the second print in a row that this has happened. I haven't made any changes in any software nor updated anything recently. Any one got an idea?
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.jpg (221.7 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (249.7 KB)
Re: Any ideas on what might be causing this?
March 25, 2017 11:54PM
Try reinstalling slic3r. It gets weird...

Try installing the dev version of slic3r- they seem to have fixed a bunch of bugs in 1.2.9.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 26, 2017 03:28PM
Have a look at it in Slic3r's preview mode to see what Slic3r is actually generating.
March 26, 2017 08:37PM
Turns out I'm already using slic3r 1.2.9, I'll try reinstalling though. The preview looks like nice clean circles.
March 27, 2017 09:55AM
Is it AutoCAD FACETRES variable?

The default is 0.5 which produces clunky circles in the STL export. Setting in to 10 smooths them out.

Maybe you already know this if you used it for a few years as you say . . .
May 01, 2017 02:19PM
Haven't used my printer in a little while as I've been busy with other projects.I did try replacing slicer with a fresh install and no change. Ed, I didn't know about that variable. I'll give it a go. Likely it can improve the quality of the exported STLs but I don't think it's causing my current issues as I have printed fine up until now.

Repetier displays the tool path as calculated by Slic3r and I don't see any issues there. I'm wondering if there is something with the firmware causing this? Forgot to mention my printer is a Prusa i2 with various improvements. I recently built a new belt drive extruder which is much lighter than the original Greg-Wades. I made some changes to the firmware to speed things up, however, my tests gave better results at the faster speeds than I got at slower speeds with the original and I have had successful prints since then. I wonder if something got pooched in the firmware along the way as it is the only thing I have touched in a long time? I should post my configuration.h file to see if someone can any issues there.
May 13, 2017 08:03PM

Haven't used my printer in a little while as I've been busy with other projects
If the printer's been sitting doing nothing for an extended period, you should perhaps check the X and Y axis belt tensions. I'm guessing you may get the problems if they've slackened off slightly?

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login