Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taper after good first layer?

Posted by kaylorRN 
Taper after good first layer?
March 15, 2017 12:33PM
I haven't been printing long and had major issues with first layer adhesion and fill and stringing. I've followed every guide and suggestion I could find and seem to have gotten past them.

I'm printing PLA and have a good, well adhered dimensionally accurate first layer. Most of the print is decent, but starting on layer 2 and going up a mm or so is a taper. If it only happened on layer 2, I'd think the first layer and 2nd layer heights were off so they weren't sticking together, but if forms this perfect taper. I was concerned maybe it was too warm as it was extruding and not cooling in place, so the hot-end fan comes on after the first layer. That didn't have any noticeable impact.

I haven't seen a thread with this exact issue so does anyone have any thoughts?
Attachments:
open | download - 0315171223a_HDR.jpg (351.6 KB)
open | download - 0315171223_HDR.jpg (400.6 KB)
Re: Taper after good first layer?
March 15, 2017 06:57PM
I did have a similar problem.
After more time than I want on this problem. It turns out to be a "slight" overextrution problem.
Re: Taper after good first layer?
March 17, 2017 08:17AM
Not sure where to go with this but you are due a response.
1st layer doesn't show any "squash" so I suspect its to high. What is the layer thickness and nozzle size? Did you set the Z offset in the slicer settings.
Doesn't look like shrinkage. It actually looks like the rounded edge is intended. There is also evidence that the inner periphery is not joining the outer. Are you sure this isn't supposed to be like this but its on a raft or something (never used a raft so wouldn't know)?
Check the Gcode by layer preview to ensure its printing where it should.
Looks like there is another issue with wavy Z axis but 1st things 1st.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login