Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cura and getting a smooth top layer?

Posted by Wibbles 
Cura and getting a smooth top layer?
February 28, 2017 10:01AM
I use Cura as it so quick and simple to play with. However, there is one thing that has always bugged me and I haven't a clue whether there is a simple solution, so I thought I would try here and see if there is.

Pic is attached as an example. In short, where I have multiple horizontal surfaces, only the top one is handled as being the 'top layer' by Cura. I make a lot of model parts and they have small protrusions. As you can see in the pic, the main flat surfaces are hatched. The tops of the very uppermost surfaces get a smooth surface.

Is there a way to get a smooth surface on horizontal surfaces that are below the top layer?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20170228_144931.jpg (96.8 KB)
Re: Cura and getting a smooth top layer?
February 28, 2017 01:54PM
I dont have this problem in Cura.
I use the new 2.4 version.
February 28, 2017 02:23PM
I clicked on Check for Updates in Linux and it said that I had the most up to date version being 15.04.6. The Cura site has 2.4 listed as you said.

I tried printing the same part using Slicr and got pretty much the same result as I always do, but slightly smoother than Cura.

The only other long shot is that when I started out in 3D printing I may have been using my old Windows laptop that is gathering dust in a cupboard. I know that my first test pieces had all upper surfaces silky smooth and flat. If 2.4 doesn't solve it I will give the Windows version a try and see if that works any better.
February 28, 2017 02:43PM
Cant hurt to check. Im running Windows 10 and Cura 2.4 with no issues other than PLA growing pains. Ive ran nothing but ABS for years so PLA is another animal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login