Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extreme shift in layers

Posted by adenton 
Extreme shift in layers
February 20, 2017 05:23PM
Hey there,

I am having some difficuties prinitng a simple cube . It starts out alright but then dramatically starts printing way too far to the right. In my firmware, the acceleration is 1000, retract acceleration is 2000, max xy jerk is 5.0 and max z jerk is 0.4. I don't think there is a problem with the stl file because I have also tried other stl cubes with no success. I'd really appreciate any suggestions, and I am happy to provide additional info. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 05:25PM by adenton.
Re: Extreme shift in layers
February 21, 2017 02:30AM
A small shift indicates the stepper has skipped some steps because Vref ( motor current ) is to low.
A big shift indicates the driver has switched to overtemperature protection mode because Vref is to high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 02:31AM by o_lampe.
February 21, 2017 10:38AM
Thank you for that info by "Vref" I am assuming you mean the voltage of the stepper driver. Last time I checked, my x-axis stepper driver was at 0.424 V which doesn't seem to be too high from what I've read online.

Any additional suggestions?
March 01, 2017 07:09AM
Do you have a cooling fan on the stepper drivers? - if not - get one :-)
March 02, 2017 08:00AM
adenton
Thank you for that info by "Vref" I am assuming you mean the voltage of the stepper driver. Last time I checked, my x-axis stepper driver was at 0.424 V which doesn't seem to be too high from what I've read online.

Any additional suggestions?

In my case Vref is set to 0.35V for regular pololus and 1.1V for TMC2100 and I also use a fan to cool the drivers. Both steppers en drivers stay cool during printing.
March 02, 2017 10:37AM
I also recently discovered that a lot of my problems were caused by a conflicting values in the Sli3er software. What I mean by that is the value for the nozzle diameter and the layer height need to match (0.4 mm for me) otherwise this confuses the printer. Now I'm just working on cleaning up hallow print structures, its an endless challenge.
March 02, 2017 11:39AM

What I mean by that is the value for the nozzle diameter and the layer height need to match (0.4 mm for me) otherwise this confuses the printer

I doubt that.
Usually the layer height is 50-80% of nozzle diameter.

You might have missed that nozzle diameter is specified in two places in slic3r:
First you have to specify the printer in general under "Printer Settings" : Things like bed shape and nozzle size for each extruder you have.

Then there is "Print Settings" where you can specify default extrusion width a.s.o.
March 02, 2017 01:38PM
AGREED!
.4mm nozzle should never print .4mm layers!
Highest I go is .3mm on my .4mm tip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login