Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Display flickering and not showing anything

Posted by Brotherhood 
Display flickering and not showing anything
February 20, 2017 02:51PM
Recently I have started building my customised 3d printer and right now I have an issue with the display.
I have Rambo 1.2 (big one) motherboard and I am using Marlin firmware.

The issue is that when I turn the power on the display flickers and buzzes roughly every second (to me it seems almost like some system trying to boot up and failing thus endind in a loop)
There is a video of what exactly happens

I have tried several versions of Marlin right now my setting in firmware concerning the display controller in configuration.h are following:
#define LCD_LANGUAGE cz
#define DISPLAY_CHARSET_HD44780 WESTERN
#define ULTRA_LCD 
#define SDSUPPORT
#define INDIVIDUAL_AXIS_HOMING_MENU
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

I´m open to any suggestions. I really didnt find anything about how could this be caused.
Re: Display flickering and not showing anything
February 24, 2017 07:50AM
Does the motherboard power up normally with the display disconnected? Re-check your wiring to the display..it looks like your 5v line is being pulled down..
Where does the ticking noise come from?..could it be an electrolytic capacitor on the display board breaking down?
March 06, 2017 09:57AM
The motherboard powers up normally as far as I noticed without the display. Stepper motors and endstops worked fine so far (didnt connect anything else yet).
Checked the wiring, seems all okay. But tried to load the firmware for graphic discount reprap smart controller and it did the same thing.
For the ticking it comes from the red rounded thing which is above the encoder (buzzer I suppose, see the attached file)

EDIT: I tried it with a graphic display from a friend (changed the firmware and when I plugged back the mine without realising I have the wrong firmware on it it stayed all dark and did nothing)but same situation occured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 01:44PM by Brotherhood.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20170306_154953.jpg (187.6 KB)
March 06, 2017 03:23PM
In some cases you have to turn around the ribbon cables. If it isn't possible because of the notch in the housing, you have to cut the housing.
March 06, 2017 04:55PM
I tried swaping the cables and got the display turned on but is flickers when I turn the encoder.
Should I be turning around both cables or trying all possibilities?
March 06, 2017 05:00PM
Okay, cut the housing and turned both cables.

It works now.

Thanks a lot guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login