Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geetech extruder problemsad smiley

Posted by mk22000 
Geetech extruder problemsad smiley
February 18, 2017 08:47AM
Hi,i am new at 3d printers and before 3 weeks i order my kit geeetech prusa i3 prob and assemble it.after so many videos and tips to understant the hole thing i mke it print.i make some prints i levelmy bed for better results and thinks went goid until my prints wasnt good enough.inended up that my problem seems to be extruder calibration.i tried to figure out through marlin firmare (i use gt2560 board) my resaults was that even if i change the steps per unit i cant correctly my extrusion.i try with epprom off and seems that my new value has saved to configuration.h and i also can see them at lcd but the extrusion is the same.i tried different arduini versions but nothing.i move extruder for 50mm through lcd and stoped at 37.i make my changes to configuration.h and i saw that my new steps per unit has saved.i make my test again for 50mm now moved 47.then i adhljusted more but nithing extra this time.i am so confused please help
Me!!
Re: Geetech extruder problemsad smiley
February 18, 2017 09:11AM
printer will use settings stored in eeprom in preference of config.h
re enable eeprom, then with programs like repetier host or pronterface you can edit the values direct in eeprom.
or change settings in config.h then use gcodes
M502 ; read settings in config.h
M500 ; store settings to eeprom
February 18, 2017 10:22AM
Make sure that you have the correct diameter of filament set in your slicer. Some default to a certain value, and unless this is correct you will not get the correct extrusion.
February 19, 2017 09:22AM
Google mk8 extruder and geeetech forums and prepare for a spike in blood pressure and feelings of regret.

I bought my geeetech printer around xmas after falling for the "decent cheap printer requiring minor tweeks" posts. Boy do i feel stupid now. The assembly was a bad experience for me, bent rod, oversized rods, seller stringing me along with promise to replace but nothing ever showing up. Out of square laser cutting.

About 6 weeks later i had all the parts i need to complete my printer and finally got to printing. Unfortunately i suffered intermittent and underextrusion problems. I tried almost everything that was suggested until I had another google and discovered the problem.

The Mk8 plastic extruder head. Almost every second post in their forums are posts about extrusion issues. Seems they used the cheapest crappiest extruder head in the entire world. I read that the spring was weak causing poor tension, so i managed to print out some shimmies to stick under there as suggested by some members to increase tension. However in my case I noticed right away that the spring was really heavy duty! While disassembling mine i found the part which holds the idler wheel in place was cracked in half, hidden against the stepper motor. I guess in my case theyd actually changed to tougher springs as a quick fix which had busted the plastic part instead. I was able to shave a mm or less from the plastic ridge at the bottom which sets the filament gap, allowing more pressure which mostly counteracts the movement i get from the crack. I also lubricate the filament with olive oil which helps prevent the clogging i was getting which may or may not be caused by the cracked extruder head. Its not perfect but ive been able to print while i wait for a new aluminium one to arrive in the mail.

TLgrinning smileyR version
Check the spring tension of the tension arm, if its weak add a shimmie under the spring to improve tension. If it has a heavy duty spring, check for cracks, which may not be visible until unscrewed from the stepper motor.
Consider removing a sliver of plastic from that lower stop if the teeth cant grab the filament enough.
Definitely consider replacing the extrusion head all together.

Some additional notes, use locktite or nailpolish on your screws and use the excessive washers even if they dont say to in the instructions. Put an insulator between the hotbed and the acrylic bed it attaches to( providing that model is acrylic) or the acrylic starts to deform letting the screws undo and print bed become sloppy and print poor. Corrugated cardboard from the kit worked fine for me.

Hope this helps! Cant wait to get the new extruder head. So much work in this printer, I expect the electronics to become toast next.
April 05, 2017 08:23PM
Hey ethicalfive,

I too have many problems with my geeetech. Would you please let us know what you purchased and perhaps a link to it so the others including me could also upgrade their printer? Thanks! I haven't been able to print anything properly for months
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login