Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Loose hotend, X axis jumping

Posted by Pikeminnow8 
Loose hotend, X axis jumping
February 06, 2017 03:15PM
Heya all

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for years.
I finally bought a printer, assembled it, and printed some pretty decent first prints.

FlyingBear p902 running Rep-host with Slic3r. Windows 8. I print mostly from my laptop, but also have the SD card option.
Using Colorfab Translucent PLA 190-210c

After my 3rd print I noticed the hotend had a slow leak on top of the heater block. I took the hot end apart to tighten it before I knew how hard it would be. I put it back together planning on tightening while it was hot with shims to hold it still., which helped, but it's still leaking.

I did a quick test print and the x axis would jump in the same direction ever couple of minutes making my print of a sqaure look more like a staircase. Z and Y are still straight and mine lines look great. Just X axis is acting up.

2 Questions, how do I tighten my hot end with melted plastic on it?
Also, what could cause my x axis to shift in the same direction?

Thanks in advance. I can upload pics if you need them.
Re: Loose hotend, X axis jumping
February 07, 2017 03:26AM
To avoid leaking, the nozzle and the M6 heatbarrier have to be countered against each other.

You have to remove the heater element and the thermistor (be careful with the thin legs )
Remove nozzle and clean up the collar from filament.
Remove heaterblock and clean the collar of the heatbarrier too.
Screw the nozzle in the heater block to the limit and then unscrew it 1/2 turn or so.
Now put both back on the M6 heatbarrier until the nozzle meets the heatbarrier.
Hold the heater block and tighten the nozzle.
Reinstall the heater element and thermistor. Make sure the grubscrew dosn't squeeze the wires or glassbulb of the thermistor.

Afterwards you might have to readjust the z-endstop to fit the new nozzle height.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 03:28AM by o_lampe.
Re: Loose hotend, X axis jumping
February 08, 2017 01:38PM
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login