Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ugly looking bottom layer and stringing

Posted by 3D 
3D
Ugly looking bottom layer and stringing
February 06, 2017 05:07AM
I print on a heated glass bed with PLA and my prints get a nasty looking bottom layer, its not shiny in some places and it seems to be the glue stick that leaves this non shiny bottom surface and it cant be washed away?
Also i get streaks in the bottom layer from stringing as well as edges that are missing some material , the missing material happens not only in the corners but also along the edges, i guess that is maybe from the curling happening when the print is not attached good enough to the bed?

What is the problem and solution for these issues? Im a total newbie.

I guess the stringing can be fixed with the right settings in retraction. But what are good settings for retraction speed and retraction distance? I have been trying 4-5 mm and a retraction speed of around 40.

And about the Z-hop function in cura, i cant seem to find that function in Cura? Im using Latest Cura for Mac.

Any help and suggestions is higly appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: Ugly looking bottom layer and stringing
February 06, 2017 07:19PM
Hi there, maybe post a picture so we can see whats going on.

Also simplify3D has a great troubleshooting guide, even if you don't use the software is a good starting point for most common issues.

[www.simplify3d.com]
February 07, 2017 08:00AM
Im not an expert with PLA but I don't think it needs a heated bed. Might be worth leaving it off so it doesn't affect your glue.
Your retraction settings are reasonable for a Bowden tube extruder. If you extruder is a direct type then set retraction to about 1mm? Be careful of having too much retraction as it can cause clogging.
A bit more info would be useful - and pictures. What temperatures are you running.
Have you levelled the bed and calibrated the motors?
3D
February 11, 2017 07:46AM
I attach some photos of the ugly bottom layer prints, as you can see there is a few things going on judging on the looks of the prints. Some problems are not so well seen on these photos while others are.

I have used a print speed of 50 mm/s, infill speed 60 mm/s, wall speed 25 mm/s, Layer height 0.1 mm, initial layer height 0.3 mm. Line width 0.4mm, Wall thickness 0.8 mm.

Nozzle Temperature 195 - 200 degrees Celcius, print bed temperature 63- 73 degrees celcius (tried 80 once), cooling on - regular fan speed at height 0.3 mm. Build plate adhesion Skirt.
Filament diameter 1.75 mm, filament type PLA.
Retraction enabled, retraction distance between 4-5 mm on these prints (tried 1,5 - 2 mm but stringing got worse).
Direct extruder.
Im using a Turnigy Fabrikator printer with Marlin Firmware.

Any suggestions which settings can be tweaked to help with these issues? And what other things that can be done to improve the prints and remove the issues? Also maybe some mechanical things to check the printer for?

I have read some guides online, but on my prints i see more than just one type of the problems mentioned in the guides, so I'm trying to figure out where to start and which is the first things i should check, its a bit overwhelming for a noob like myself.

I will certainly try to print without any heat on the bed, that could maybe help with the dull non-shiny look on the bottom layer that seems to be caused by the heated glue? But the question is how well that will work out, since i have big problems to get at least smaller prints to stick even with a heated bed together with glue stick and / or hairspray.
How about these BuildTak etc. are they doing a good job keeping the object stuck to the print bed?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 07:57AM by 3D.
February 12, 2017 01:33AM
Read through the calibration guide and pay close attention to the e step setups and slicing settings

[reprap.org]

I would say your layer height is too low, try 0.2mm and when you start to get better prints drop it to 0.1mm
February 12, 2017 06:09PM
I would suggest for better results on the bottom layer that you print with a brim. This can be trimmed off after. Also I would very slightly reduce the distance between the nozzle and the bed so that the bottom layer is squashed well against the glass.
3D
February 13, 2017 07:56AM
I thought the distance between my nozzle and the bed was very small, i had a thought if the distance should be a bit bigger?

I havent thought about the layer height, i will try that.

Which particular calibration guide do you mean? I have read several guides etc. But its always helpful to get some valuable input from people with knowledge in 3D printing.
February 13, 2017 07:59PM
I find the triffid hunters guide on the reprap wiki to be a good set of setup instructions for beginners. (I posted a link im my last comment but ill post again)

Link: [reprap.org]

When you have your printer setup and getting prints, the simplify3D has a great troubleshooting guide is a great way to get some great looking prints. You dont need to use their software to use it, it has pitchers of the common issues that beginners will come across and settings to change to correct.

Link: [www.simplify3d.com]

You might find you have a few issues just pick one at a time to correct, only change one setting at a time and keep notes, that way you can look back and see how well your prints responded to that change.

It may take some time but when you get it right you will be glad you took the time.
3D
February 14, 2017 03:19PM
scottybfg
I find the triffid hunters guide on the reprap wiki to be a good set of setup instructions for beginners. (I posted a link im my last comment but ill post again)

Link: [reprap.org]

When you have your printer setup and getting prints, the simplify3D has a great troubleshooting guide is a great way to get some great looking prints. You dont need to use their software to use it, it has pitchers of the common issues that beginners will come across and settings to change to correct.

Link: [www.simplify3d.com]

You might find you have a few issues just pick one at a time to correct, only change one setting at a time and keep notes, that way you can look back and see how well your prints responded to that change.

It may take some time but when you get it right you will be glad you took the time.

Thanks for the links, i will read them and see if i can get better prints.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login