Advanced

Nozzle penetration and bulging of outer layers

Posted by kptroy09 
Nozzle penetration and bulging of outer layers
January 24, 2017 09:07PM
Hi !!
I printed this model using Cura Slicer engine. I used PLA filament of 1.75dia
providing layer height of .1mm
shell thickness of 1.6mm(even tried for 0.8, 1.2, 2.0 and 2.4) and fill density of 20%(even tried for 40%)
the image attached is without support i also tried with support also i got the same result with much more bad surface finish due to supports.
i really don't know what to do to get a perfect finish for this model that i created.
i even tried generating supports in mesh mixer the strength of the model was reduced and it broke from the second curve.

what i observed in this was that the nozzle was penetrating the formed layers and hence reducing the quality of the finish(even tried by changing cooling time of the layers), those top two curves are chamfer type curves but the printed model is showing them as flat layers and the 2nd curve layers are always distorted(layers are misaligned ).

Please suggest me what to do to get a good finish for this model. !!
Attachments:
open | download - queen.stl (612.8 KB)
open | download - IMG-20170124-WA0000.jpg (64.7 KB)
open | download - IMG-20170124-WA0001.jpg (123.5 KB)
Re: Nozzle penetration and bulging of outer layers
January 25, 2017 07:44AM
A couple of things that may help.
1. print more than one part at a time. For small layer areas the time to complete the layer is relatively short and the filament doesn't have enough time to cool before it is disturbed by the next layer (or adjacent filament in the case of peripheries). So printing more parts (or putting pauses in the code) gives more time for the filament to cool.
2. Increase the layer height to say 0.25mm and then work down to smaller layers. A 0.1mm layer requires a lot of distortion of the filament which can disturb the previous layer.
In this case you have both effects so its even worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login