Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Print Not Sticking To Bed

Posted by Bottersnike 
Small Print Not Sticking To Bed
January 17, 2017 10:47AM
I've got a Kossel Mini printer and I've got it working properly. My only problem is that whenever I print a small part (as in tiny), it doesn't stick to the bed and then when the print head comes back around, it just knocks the print off the bed. Larger parts print perfectly and stick fine but small parts just don't want to stick.

P.S.
I'm printing in ABS with an 100C bed and a 240C head.
Re: Small Print Not Sticking To Bed
January 17, 2017 01:13PM
Try using a brim, maybe 3mm.
If the print head knocks off the object, there is a slicing option to raise the head prior to crossing perimeters, and/or raise the head when retraction is done.
January 17, 2017 01:46PM
I've had better luck using a raft in Cura 2.3.1 than the brim options. The rafts keep everything down, and easily pull off after the print is done. With the brim, I've had to trim a lot of excess off with a knife.
January 17, 2017 01:52PM
Inhumierer
Try using a brim, maybe 3mm.
If the print head knocks off the object, there is a slicing option to raise the head prior to crossing perimeters, and/or raise the head when retraction is done
How would I raise the head when moving in slic3r?
January 18, 2017 01:39PM
Yea I think in Slic3r there is no raft setting, at least I didn't find one winking smiley
I use(d) a 2 loop 4mm distance 5mm minimum extrusion skirt to clean the nozzle and press air out, then a 3mm brim to adhese the object.

In the Slic3r settings, "Print Settings", "Infill" uncheck "Only retract when crossing perimeters" - this will give a retract on every head movement crossing any part of the object, not only perimeters.
In "Printer Settings" - "Extruder 1" (if you only have 1 extruder) "Retraction" - "Lift Z": Set this to 0.3 to lift the head 0.3mm at every retraction.

So these combined settings retract the filament and raise the print head before crossing any part of the printed object, preventing the head to touch the object and kick it off from the bed. I did some experiments here before, but at the end I found out that most of my problems raised from a slight overextraction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 01:40PM by Inhumierer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login