Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remove Buildtak glue from aluminium heating bed

Posted by Shinobi 
Remove Buildtak glue from aluminium heating bed
January 16, 2017 03:42PM
Hi everyone!

I own a Flashforge Creator Pro and just removed the blue printing mat and want to replace it with a glass bed. I removed the mat now, but there is a lot of glue stuck to the aluminium bed... i tried using a sponge, but it is reeeeaaaally slow and i wanted to ask if you could give me some advice how to clean the bed. acetone? limonene? rubbing alcohol?

Thank in advance!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20170116-WA0003.jpg (175.3 KB)
Re: Remove Buildtak glue from aluminium heating bed
January 16, 2017 04:03PM
I don't know buildtak, but most glues used for 3D printing are water solubel. I always useva small atomizer with distilled water to refresh or clean glue treated printbeds.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 16, 2017 04:10PM
razor blade is what id use.
January 17, 2017 02:07AM
Floyd
razor blade is what id use.

i'm a bit afraid to scratch the surface of the bed. i will buy some isopropyl and hopefully that will help me. do you think i should heat up the bed as well?
January 17, 2017 07:27AM
Try acetone, goo-gone, or kerosene. I'd probably leave it at room temperature and wear gloves.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 17, 2017 12:02PM
I tried BuildTak on my printers just sticking it to the glass. It didn't last long enough for what you paid for it, so I removed it too. When I pulled mine off, the glue was left on the glass. In my case, I was able to push the glue with my fingers and it started to roll up. Once I had it rolled I was able to grab a hold with a pair of pliers and slowly pulled the glue off in almost one sheet. Beyond that, I cleaned the glass with the usual glass cleaners, but didn't have any big issues pulling up the glue from the Buildtak sheet. Might be a different story on something besides glass though, but that was my experience with removing BuildTak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login