Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Borosilicate glass

Posted by Hedgehog 
Borosilicate glass
January 15, 2017 10:31PM
I'm thinking about purchasing a 200 x 220 x 3or4 borosilicate glass for a bed, I want to know if it conducts heat? Because a lot of the "deals" include heated beds.
thx
Re: Borosilicate glass
January 15, 2017 10:44PM
Glass is a poor conductor of heat, but it does conduct it to some degree (like all other materials). Yes, it does make sense to get the borosilicate, because that's the kind that resists extreme heating/cooling better, and a glass bed is probably the simplest way to go in general.
January 15, 2017 10:51PM
Oh and where can i find the 220 x 200> all i ever see is 200 200, 220 200, 213 200......
January 15, 2017 10:56PM
anvoice
Glass is a poor conductor of heat, but it does conduct it to some degree (like all other materials). Yes, it does make sense to get the borosilicate, because that's the kind that resists extreme heating/cooling better, and a glass bed is probably the simplest way to go in general.

so is it ok if i just clip the glass to my aluminum bed?
January 15, 2017 11:51PM
Wait, if you already have an aluminum bed why do you need glass on top of it? You can probably print fine on the aluminum assuming it's reasonably flat, or are you concerned it may be bowed?
January 16, 2017 12:49AM
Aye mane, I may have some bed heating problems right now, but thats just some hardware issues.... My bed has a 12"x12" glass top clipped to a metal heated bed and it works perfectly. It'll heat up to 135 degrees and that keeps my print corners from lifting also helps keep elmers glue sticky.. the bed has a layer of 3D printed insulation underneath the metal heat bed to help retain heat then glass sets on top. I've heard of people using cork to insulate the bottom. I like the bed, glass is nice and easy to clean. Does get scratched up tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 12:50AM by HighLikeAladdin.
January 16, 2017 01:13AM
Glass is necessary on many (most?) printer's beds because the aluminum supplied is not flat enough to print on. On top of that, many (most?) printers use 4-point "leveling" which by definition has to bend the bed and/or undercarriage. Placing a relatively stiff piece of glass on top is an attempt to flatten out the print surface. Glass is not thermally conductive, so even if you manage to flatten the surface with it, you may have cool spots, so you've traded one problem (unflatness) for another (uneven heating). Aluminum "heat spreaders" are a myth. If the aluminum isn't touching the glass everywhere - i.e. if the aluminum isn't flat (which is why you're stuck putting glass on it in the first place), the heating won't be even. It's probably a little better than applying the heater directly to the glass without a "heat spreader", but just barely.

If you really want to minimize first-layer problems, get a piece of 1/4" thick cast aluminum tooling plate and put a layer of Kapton or PEI on it. Mount it on a real leveling system (3 points, not 4), and you'll be spending much less time trying to get prints to stick to the bed. You also won't need any of the sloppy stuff that people have come up with to try to compensate for print bed quality problems.

I had a glass bed on my first printer for a few months until I went searching for something better. I found cast tooling plate and would never consider going back to glass. If you must use glass, I don't think borosilicate is necessary. You're not heating it to terribly high temperatures, or heating and cooling it very quickly, either.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2017 06:04PM
I want to clip glass on my aluminum because I'm trying something like elmers glue or aquanet sprat paint.
Im printing with pla,

really, so is it ok if i clip to aluminum? like will the heat go through?
January 16, 2017 06:08PM
Yes, clip away...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2017 07:00PM
the_digital_dentist
Yes, clip away...
yes thank you i hope i have not exasperated u too much
smiling smiley
January 17, 2017 09:40PM
For all that r printing with blue painters, i have found the magic solution: take an alchohol swab -- i used antiseptic isopropyl-- the medical one-- and wiped my tape, the print stuck on se well that i couldnt get it off without taking off the print. proud to say no longer having warping issues!!!
thanks u all for ur patience, especially dentist, who i have seem to exasperated
smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login