Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print is Starting to high!!!

Posted by travmd24 
Print is Starting to high!!!
January 12, 2017 07:27PM
I have a Hictop Prusa i3 running marlin firmware. So far i have tried cura 15.04.6 and slic3r 1.2.9 and i keep getting the same results. I have the bed leveled and it homes perfectly fine but as soon as the print starts it raises somewhere about 0.3mm above the bed. with slic3r i set a z offset of -0.3 and the first layer prints the way it should ( i think) but then it jumps up to high for the next layer. ive calibrated, looked at the configuration file, looked at gcodes. idk what to do anymore and ive looked everywhere. if someone could help that would be awesome. ive attached my config.h and config_adv.h files. if needed i can take screen shots of my settings or a video of what is happening.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (46.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (29.9 KB)
Re: Print is Starting to high!!!
January 14, 2017 02:25AM
level bed to 0.1mm with z at home leave z offset zero check filament and nozzle diameter then set layer height to 0.2mm done in the slicer program and print a cube if this fails you need to calibrate z axis steps/mm for the threaded lead screw done in configuration slic3r has built in calculator
January 14, 2017 02:28AM
also make sure you use the right microsteps 1/16 or 1/32 as set by jumpers
January 15, 2017 02:33PM
i leveled the bed and set layer height to 0.2mm and tried to print but it failed. where can i find the step calculator in slic3r. and also where would i find the steps/mm and microsteps? in the config.h file?
January 15, 2017 03:00PM
micro step mode is set by fitting links on the controller board. what board do you have?
January 15, 2017 03:02PM
i believe it is a Ramps/arduino board
January 15, 2017 03:10PM
Ok,turn of the power and make sure you have 3 jumpers fitted under each stepper driver pcb

January 15, 2017 03:40PM
My board doesn't look like that at all. i attached a picture
Attachments:
open | download - image1 (1).JPG (161.6 KB)
January 15, 2017 04:26PM
Ok thats a MPX 3.0 board, i believe they are pre set to 1/16 microstepping.

does your printer have a micro switch for Z homing or does it use a inductive sensor
January 15, 2017 04:36PM
micro switch (endstop). When homing the Z-axis homes perfectly fine, exactly to where i leveled it.
January 16, 2017 04:09AM
With babystepping you could alter the -Z until filament sticks, maybe lower first layer height to .1 see if that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 04:10AM by MechaBits.
January 16, 2017 04:33PM
as soon as the print starts it raises somewhere about 0.3mm above the bed
Just re-read your 1st post , umm If you have 0.3 set as your layer height in the slicer, then yes it will raise Z too 0.3 at start of print, it is not supposed to start print at Z0.
If 1st layer is not sticking to the bed then you either have your Z0 slightly too high or 1st layer extrusion in silcer set to low.
January 16, 2017 05:31PM
it doesnt matter what the layer height is set to it does that no matter what. even when i get a good first layer the next layer starts to high from the first and the first
January 16, 2017 09:13PM

here is a link to a video i took of what happens.
January 17, 2017 04:12AM
Hmm,i see what you mean, from the video that looks like about a 2mm jump from 1st to 2nd layer.

If you home Z and then send a G1 Z20 F2000 how far does Z actually move.

Allso can you check what Z steps you have set in the eeprom (config menu in repetier host)

Hard to see on the video, but is that a M8 threaded ror or is it a M8 lead screw on the Z axis. if it is a lead screw then it is probably a 4 start screw and your Z steps/mm should be 400 not 1250
January 17, 2017 03:55PM
when i type in that command my end of my nozzle is at about 125mm above the bed.
not really sure about the z-axis threads this is a link to the exact printer i bought [www.amazon.com]
January 17, 2017 04:36PM
Zsteps are way off if you told it to move 20mm and it moved 125mm
January 17, 2017 04:41PM
where would i edit the z-steps? in the config.h file? and what should it be?
i have my config.h and config.adv at the top of the thread
January 17, 2017 05:20PM
You can edit the steps/mm in config.h and then re load the firmware, or a lot easier you can edit them directly in the eeprom via repetier host ia the config menu at the top.
Yes you definitly have a 4 start lead screw on that printer so your Z steps should be set to 400
January 17, 2017 07:25PM
is this the line of code i should edit? i dont use repetier so im not sure where you can edit the steps in slic3r
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot (17).png (89.7 KB)
January 18, 2017 07:52AM
Yes that line is correct, change the 2560 to 400.
However the old setting will be used from the eeprom, so either run the eeprom clear sketch in arduino/files/examples before you upload the firmware

or after uploading new firmware,use your printing host (repetier/pronterface) and send a
M502
M500

those 2 codes will read the config data and store it too eeprom

* If Z now move a bit slow, a few lines below you will find Default max feedrate increase the 3 to 40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 07:56AM by obewan.
January 18, 2017 01:25PM
thank you so much! i was finally to print for the first time! but now i had a thermal runaway... i had this problem before when i was trying to get a print i would let it run and see what was happening. it gets up to the 210 degrees like it should then about 10 min into the print or sometime after the first few layers my printer will start decreasing in temp and give me a false error. i have already went back in the code and up't the degrees and time it takes to throw the code. any other suggestions?
January 18, 2017 02:22PM
Try running an auto PID tune on the hot end
[reprap.org]
Make sure you dont have a fan pointed at the bottom of the hot end directly cooling the block.
January 18, 2017 02:36PM
If you have done the auto tune on the PID, does your temperature decline line up with a part cooling fan turning on? If not a part cooling fan, you might have a loose connection on the thermistor.
January 18, 2017 03:14PM
Thats great thay we got it printing, now the fun starts smiling smiley

As PD says, make sure you dont have a fan blowing onto the heater block
January 18, 2017 06:25PM
i think its the cooling fan, could i turn it down in the slicer program? maybe make it 90% instead of 100%?
January 19, 2017 09:45AM
You need to duct the cooling fan away from the heater block. You might be able to wrap the heater block in kapton tape to insulate it from the cooling fan airflow, but the real solution is to duct it from blowing onto your heater block or don't use one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login