Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prints warping and coming off bed

Posted by Hedgehog 
Prints warping and coming off bed
January 12, 2017 05:41PM
I am currently using blue painters tape (3M) and a 60 degree C heating bed, which I have found gives best results. I have read online that painters tape is best without heating, but it just won't adhere! I am trying to regulate my ambient temp at around 25. I am currently trying to print square pillars to support my PLA filament roll, and since it has to be tall, I have found that the nozzle sort of rubs against the pillar, making it fall off... so I decreased PLA extruded, but then it became really weak. I have also noticed warping ON THE PRINT!!!??? Every few mm or so, I see some lifted corners (tiny gaps) that are weak spots. I am using the PLA given to me with the printer (I am a newbie that does a lot of research), wondering whether it's my filament's problem? It's 1.75 mm, the nozzle is 0.4 mm, and my model is prusa i3 electron. Btw I'm 99% sure my height (nozzle to platform) good.
Can anyone recommend me some good filling shapes? I'm using the default honeycomb, I can't find anything about what each filling pattern is good for and their pros and cons.

Also, does anyone have any reprapchampion.com discount codes? And where can I get those puny tiny little allen keys (really REALLY REALLY small)?
Re: Prints warping and coming off bed
January 12, 2017 05:59PM
My advice is to use 3dLac

this is a spray-on solution that sticks wehen hot and releases when cold. It works ok on Glass and even better on aluminium.
Warping with PLA seems impossible.

I use 3Dlac on 80 degrees centigrade bed. You can not tear stuff off when hot. It takes off when cold.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 12, 2017 07:01PM
If you have bad adhesion between layers it's normally a sign of under extrusion. Solve your problem of bed adhesion first and then increase your extrusion.
January 12, 2017 08:18PM
Uh oh... I have just realized that the power supply to my motherboard wires get so hot that the rubber melts, I touched it and got burned (I'm pretty stupid)! Any idea why? I'm not printing until this is fixed, I'm worried af
January 12, 2017 08:21PM
BTW I'm at 130 for the first layer, then I set it to 110 for next few
January 12, 2017 08:33PM
Wise choice to not print until you fix that. What gauge wire are you using? There could be an electronics problem somewhere that's causing too much current draw, definitely don't leave it on and unattended.
January 12, 2017 08:38PM
how do I get 3dlac???
January 12, 2017 08:46PM
i really dont know. ill post an image soon.
January 12, 2017 09:40PM
Try wiping the tape with IPA before printing. The problem with heating painter''s tape is that the adhesive bakes onto your bed surface and becomes very hard to remove. PLA sticks to warm kapton and PEI very nicely without any sloppy sprays or goo. You can get a 300 x300 x 0.76 mm piece of PEI from Amazon for $15. It will last a long long time if you don't abuse it.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2017 12:47AM
Hedgehog
how do I get 3dlac???

I get it here : 3Dlac

It's a Dutch site.

If you google a bit, you'll find merchants
like : More 3Dlac

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 13, 2017 05:37AM
What parts are you trying to print, can you not lay them flat on the bed so they are not so tall.

I print pla on blue painters tape with bed temp at 50-55 deg, It sticks very well if there is enough suface area of the part in contact with the bed, smaller parts may need a 3-5 mm brim to help prevent corner warp, allso a part cooling fan will help.

If your nozzle is scraping the part when it gets any height then your Z steps/mm may need increaseing a bit(my M5 rods ended up at 4030steps/mm) measured over a 180mm Zmove

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 05:40AM by obewan.
January 13, 2017 05:06PM
The problem is my prints warp, so i cannot lay a big flat side on the bed. I am starting to doubt the filament quality (not even 90% sure yet though), it sticks for a while, then comes off. I will look into the Z step.

I cannot print until i fix my melting wire problem.... Im out of ideas. checking my wiring once more.
January 13, 2017 05:19PM
Replace
Hedgehog
how do I get 3dlac???

I get it here : 3Dlac

It's a Dutch site.

If you google a bit, you'll find merchants
like : More 3Dlac

Thomas

Does this ship to canada? thats where i live. sounds interesting. and from what ive read is pretty reliable
January 14, 2017 05:12PM
and can i just clip glass to alminum? cuz aluminum is my screwed on bed, i wonder if the heat will go through
January 14, 2017 05:18PM
anvoice
Wise choice to not print until you fix that. What gauge wire are you using? There could be an electronics problem somewhere that's causing too much current draw, definitely don't leave it on and unattended.
im using the one the printer came with, never noticed it before
January 14, 2017 05:35PM
Hedgehog
Then it's likely either a connection or electronics problem. Can't tell you much more without any additional info.
January 16, 2017 07:00PM
anvoice
Hedgehog
Then it's likely either a connection or electronics problem. Can't tell you much more without any additional info.
thanks, i will check all my wiring and get back. but must bake time for wiring first, have lots of hwk right now these days
January 17, 2017 09:39PM
THANKS ALL!!!
i checked my wiring again, and found some inaccuracies in the diagram i followed, found a pic, fixed my problem. the wire is about 50-40 c im guessing, warm to the touch.

For all that r printing with blue painters, i have found the magic solution: take an alchohol swab -- i used antiseptic isopropyl-- the medical one-- and wiped my tape, the print stuck on se well that i couldnt get it off without taking off the print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login