Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing issue

Posted by drwatsont 
printing issue
January 10, 2017 09:10AM
Hi i'm printing with PLA at 200º it prints a few layers ok but after that stops feeding the filament,before i start printing i try to extrude 10mm a few times and it goes ok.
files attached:error 1 and error 4 are 2 examples of the issue,also sendind an image of the filament support and extruder
Attachments:
open | download - error (1).jpg (592.3 KB)
open | download - error (4).jpg (367.3 KB)
open | download - extruder.jpg (362.3 KB)
open | download - filament support.jpg (345.2 KB)
Re: printing issue
January 10, 2017 12:05PM
Try supporting the filament spool on something that keeps its axis central. Sitting down on your spool holder as it does, it requires much more effort to rotate the spool, and this drag may be the cause of the problem.
January 10, 2017 01:33PM
I had that as well... It was just bad filament. Do you have other filament spools of other brands? If so, try printing with that and see if it helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 01:33PM by Farnomat.
January 11, 2017 06:44AM
Supermec---i'll try to print spool holders with bearings

Farnomat--i've ptinted very good parts,this is new printer new spool new everythingsmiling smiley

Thank you both for your time and help
January 11, 2017 07:07AM
Try unrolling some filament from the roll as you print, so that the extruder is not having to pull the filament off the roll.
If it cures the problem, then you know its too much load on the extruder
January 11, 2017 07:07AM
Maybe it's related to heat creep?
I see your extruder fan is screwed to the heatsink without posts between. That way your heatsink will not have good contact or the fan's frame will bend and cause lower RPM.
You could add M3 nuts to tighten the heatsink and fan separately or use printed posts, like the one attached.

PS: My extruder is mirrored to yours, so I'd have to print the sensor holder mirrored too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 07:20AM by o_lampe.
Attachments:
open | download - inductive_sensor_holder.stl (78.9 KB)
January 11, 2017 08:24AM
There should be a gap between the hot end and the extruder. I am sure there is but the picture doesn't show it. If not you could just be loosing temperature when it starts moving.
January 11, 2017 11:49AM
i tried to loose some filament and does the same at somepoint the filament does not extrude(i have printed good parts without loosing the filament) the files attached are from my extruder and one from a part that i tried to print with loose filament unsucceful
Attachments:
open | download - extruder (1).jpg (364.8 KB)
open | download - extruder (3).jpg (595.9 KB)
open | download - extruder (4).jpg (543.2 KB)
open | download - part.jpg (386.8 KB)
January 11, 2017 11:58AM
Looks like the tension is too tight on the extruder wheel.
January 11, 2017 06:12PM
Try lowering the throat tube about 1mm (or maybe even 2mm) in the main extruder block. This should ease the lower curve where the filament enters the throat and remove a lot of friction.
January 12, 2017 08:07AM
I support lowering the throat tube but will say 3mm as there is no clear threads at present.
Also check your retraction setting is small such as 1mm as you have a direct extruder. Obviously this depends if you have it turned on or not.
January 12, 2017 09:01AM
i've lowered the throat and printed a 10mm cube and it's ok i'm printing the support for y-axis motor so it's ok....
January 12, 2017 09:21AM
talk to soon, see photo 1 it stoped there, photo 2 is to show how is the filament..
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (575 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (539 KB)
January 12, 2017 10:37AM
i tighten the screw 1/4(+/-)of turn,i i got a good part
Attachments:
open | download - 20170112_153408_HDR.jpg (598.5 KB)
January 13, 2017 04:43AM
It almost looks like your extruder is meant for 3.00 mm filament instead of 1.75mm. The idler gear is to far away from the throat.

BTW, I have also seen MK8 extruders where the idler bearing needed a washer to be aligned with the throat. Hard to see, as long as the spring blocks the view.
January 13, 2017 07:21AM
Historically people have often delved into if you have the right PTFE tube in the extruder. I don't use PLA but I believe others have printed with lower temperatures - as low as 180. Might be worth a try.
January 19, 2017 12:31PM
yes o_lampe i had to put a washer to align everything....a very thin one...i was getting good printings until my printer started to print outside of the object area,why this happens?
Attachments:
open | download - 20170119_120116_HDR.jpg (427.5 KB)
January 19, 2017 06:57PM
First check the gcode file and see what the printer is being told to print. Let us know what you find.
January 20, 2017 02:26AM
drwatsont
yes o_lampe i had to put a washer to align everything....a very thin one...i was getting good printings until my printer started to print outside of the object area,why this happens?

Looks like the nozzle bumped in the part and skipped some steps. This can happen from over extrusion or blobs from oozing. Check your e-steps and retraction settings.
January 20, 2017 07:31AM
Just to close the original issue.
I note that in the last photo you have removed the insulation from the heater block. This will have improved the cooling on the heat break tube and may be why there is less blocking.
Of course the down side is that heat loss from the hot end is increased so it may take longer to get up to temperature, probably reduces the max temperature you can get to and may be harder to hold your temperature. (In theory the PID settings may need to be changed but if its working its better to solve the bigger issues)
January 22, 2017 08:05AM
Supermec
First check the gcode file and see what the printer is being told to print. Let us know what you find.

How do i check g-code?i've printed lots of this 10mm cube as it is my printing test before i print bigger parts and i've done like other sucefull printings but this time the print went out of the object
January 22, 2017 08:06AM
o_lampe
drwatsont

Looks like the nozzle bumped in the part and skipped some steps. This can happen from over extrusion or blobs from oozing. Check your e-steps and retraction settings.

Where do i check for e-steps and retraction settings?
January 22, 2017 03:39PM
Check gcode and retraction in the slicer.
January 24, 2017 09:37AM
Hi,check the 2 files attached is that it? the printer does a different noise when printing that error

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 11:37AM by drwatsont.
Attachments:
open | download - retraction.PNG (27.1 KB)
open | download - g-code.PNG (19.6 KB)
open | download - error.jpg (296.7 KB)
January 24, 2017 12:31PM
Hi !!
I printed this model using Cura Slicer engine. I used PLA filament of 1.75dia
providing layer height of .1mm
shell thickness of 1.6mm(even tried for 0.8, 1.2, 2.0 and 2.4) and fill density of 20%(even tried for 40%)
the image attached is without support i also tried with support also i got the same result with much more bad surface finish due to supports.
i really don't know what to do to get a perfect finish for this model that i created.
i even tried generating supports in mesh mixer the strength of the model was reduced and it broke from the second curve.

what i observed in this was that the nozzle was penetrating the formed layers and hence reducing the quality of the finish(even tried by changing cooling time of the layers), those top two curves are chamfer type curves but the printed model is showing them as flat layers and the 2nd curve layers are always distorted(layers are misaligned ).

Please suggest me what to do to get a good finish for this model. !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 12:39PM by kptroy09.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20170124-WA0000.jpg (64.7 KB)
open | download - queen.stl (612.8 KB)
January 24, 2017 01:58PM
@ kptroy09
You should start a new thread with your problem, it is not related to the original topic.
January 25, 2017 06:54PM
What do i have to look for in g-code and retraction?
January 26, 2017 08:18AM
There are other methods but the simplest way to look at the Gcode is to. Hang on better go back a step.
After you have sliced your model and generated the Gcode save the file.
Then if using windows open notebook, (Start menu > programs >Accessories). In notebook select open file, then browse to the Gcode file, (change the view to all files or it wont be visible).
The Gcode file is just text so any word processing software can open it.

Note:- The saved Gcode includes comments. If you "save for SD" these and a few other things are removed so the file is smaller. There should be no difference in the actual Gcode.
January 26, 2017 11:55AM
MCcarman
There are other methods but the simplest way to look at the Gcode is to. Hang on better go back a step.
After you have sliced your model and generated the Gcode save the file.
Then if using windows open notebook, (Start menu > programs >Accessories). In notebook select open file, then browse to the Gcode file, (change the view to all files or it wont be visible).
The Gcode file is just text so any word processing software can open it.

Note:- The saved Gcode includes comments. If you "save for SD" these and a few other things are removed so the file is smaller. There should be no difference in the actual Gcode.

Thanks MCcarman...i've the txt file with g-code but now i dont know what to look forsmiling smiley....i've printed a few of this 10mm cubes as a test and the g-code used to print good cubes is the same i'm using now but now i'm getting this error..i suppose it's not the g-code or other thing generated by the slicer

i went to [www.reprap.org] i can identify an issue similar to mine called "Skipping Steps, Signal induced in the endstop" i did the test to my endstopers and they are working normal

i think i found the origin of this issue when x-axis hits endstoper is the x-min=0 when i start to go 10 units each time the lcd keeps showing 0 value the lcd only shows 10 in the middle of the bed and then as i go to opposite side of the endstoper goes 20,30...when i press in pronterface the red circle to go to the middle of the bed goes to the down left corner....my settings in slicer for the bed were 0,0 because the firmware is config to go to middle of the bed...what should i do?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 12:26PM by drwatsont.
Attachments:
open | download - testcube_10mm.gcode.txt (73.8 KB)
January 30, 2017 06:38PM
honestly, if this "jam" happens every single time then it should be a nozzle jam. do a cold pull if it is the case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login