First Print Didn't Go Well....

Posted by tcummings 
First Print Didn't Go Well....
December 01, 2016 04:33PM
Here are some pictures of my first print:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I have a Prusa Tarantula, 1.75 mm PLA filament printing at 210 C hot end, 70 C for bed temp. 0.3 mm printing head. Speed rates all at 30 mm/s
Re: First Print Didn't Go Well....
December 01, 2016 10:42PM
Have you done any calibration to the extruder yet?
Thats STEP ONE!
December 01, 2016 10:43PM
Floyd
Have you done any calibration to the extruder yet?
Thats STEP ONE!

As far as the extruder steps per mm yes I have done that. I told the printer to extrude 100 mm and figured out the error and updated the firmware.
December 01, 2016 11:49PM
Picture 1: uneven spacing between the fill lines indicates a mechanical problem. One axis is not behaving properly. Reslice and set the infill angle to 0 degrees instead of 45 degrees. When you print you will see which axis has the problem. An error this large should be pretty easy to spot anyway...

Pictures 2 and 3: you probably don't have the Z axis calibrated and it is stepping more than you intend with the result that the layers are not sticking to each other.

Calibration is involved and takes time to do it right. Start here: [reprap.org]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 01, 2016 11:51PM
the_digital_dentist
Picture 1: uneven spacing between the fill lines indicates a mechanical problem. One axis is not behaving properly. Reslice and set the infill angle to 0 degrees instead of 45 degrees. When you print you will see which axis has the problem. An error this large should be pretty easy to spot anyway...

Pictures 2 and 3: you probably don't have the Z axis calibrated and it is stepping more than you intend with the result that the layers are not sticking to each other.

Calibration is involved and takes time to do it right. Start here: [reprap.org]

The Z axis is calibrated and I am going to re-calibrate it to make sure it's right. Ill try setting the angle to 0 degrees. What am I looking for exactly?
December 02, 2016 12:40AM
Check the line spacing when it does the solid infill. In your first photo, the lines are grouped in pairs when you're printing at 45 degrees. They should be evenly spaced. When you print at 0 degrees, one layer will have the X axis setting the spacing between the Y parallel lines and on the next solid layer the Y axis will space the X parallel lines. On each solid fill layer all the lines should be touching and even overlapping a bit, depending on the slicer settings.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login