Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old filament causing layer issues?

Posted by dazed.dnc 
Old filament causing layer issues?
November 25, 2016 09:58PM
I'm not sure what's happening here. My first inclination is that something is wrong with the filament. It is 3-5 years old and has not been sealed. It's my last roll of ABS.

In a nutshell, the laminations do not adhere. It will print solid perimeters. Eventually one of them cracks apart and curls upward. I'm showing two different pieces with this post. One is still being printed. The other two are from a finished usable part made on the same printer about 2-3 years ago. Quite possibly the same filament that I'm using today but I have no way to verify.

Aside from filament, the only major change to the printer has been re-arranging the electronics to fit in a new enclosure. I suppose it's possible that EMI is messing with my thermocouple readouts and maybe the temperature is reading higher than it really is. I bumped it from 225 to 230 and did not see an improvement though. I also tried tweaking the extrusion to put down slightly more material.

I'm getting the same layer separation every time I try to print. Is it possible for filament age to cause something like this?
Attachments:
open | download - new.jpg (110.2 KB)
open | download - Old1.jpg (48 KB)
open | download - Old2.jpg (80.6 KB)
Re: Old filament causing layer issues?
November 28, 2016 02:41PM
That's what ABS does, especially when the room temp drops. You'll have to enclose the printer to be able to successfully print with ABS.
Re: Old filament causing layer issues?
December 01, 2016 03:21PM
Funny, I have a reel of gray that does this, but the black and blue doesn't split!
I am using raft because of bed level issues and that stick fine to the bed, but the part just lifts of the raft.

Mind you, the temps in the UK atm are making ABS a nightmare to print!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 03:22PM by GRAYWOLF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login